No GoT's discussion Today?

I'm usually way behind on these, because we aren't HBO subscribers, but due to a week-long freebie, we were able to watch all of season three and the first episode of season four. We were absolutely gutted that Joffrey stilled lived after the first episode -- I guess we'll have to wait to satisfy the urge to see him turn purple (if it follows the books)...

I watch very little television but I think this is the greatest show sine the Sopranos and never miss an episode. There is so much going on and so many characters i usually have to watch the episode 3 or 4 times to catch everything

I didn't know, but I was pulling for it. Now if we could just do something about Cerse.

No spoilers, but eventually Cersie will find life to not be so pleasant. No telling what happens to her later since books 6 and 7 are incomplete.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the wedding episode. The book didn't convey the disapproval of Jeoffrey's childish little person show. That kid's a pretty good actor, because his portrayal is a perfectly unredeemable shit of a human that only someone as horrid as his mother could truly mourn.

GRRM is a sack of shit too. He's probably getting considerably more bank from the show and therefore has the books on the back burner. He may even be parlaying the ever growing success of the show into a better contract on the books. I don't blame him for pursuing these fancies, but I just want to read the next book. As is stands everyone was already much older on screen than the books had them, and all of the "kids" are going to be 10 or more years older than their characters at the the current pace.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKS!

I enjoyed the wedding episode. The book didn't convey the disapproval of Jeoffrey's childish little person show. That kid's a pretty good actor, because his portrayal is a perfectly unredeemable shit of a human that only someone as horrid as his mother could truly mourn.

GRRM is a sack of shit too. He's probably getting considerably more bank from the show and therefore has the books on the back burner. He may even be parlaying the ever growing success of the show into a better contract on the books. I don't blame him for pursuing these fancies, but I just want to read the next book. As is stands everyone was already much older on screen than the books had them, and all of the "kids" are going to be 10 or more years older than their characters at the the current pace.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKS!

As is stands everyone was already much older on screen than the books had them, and all of the "kids" are going to be 10 or more years older than their characters at the the current pace.

To be fair, that one was more or less unavoidable. Better that than cast children who can't act, grow 2' in 4 months, become obese, etc.

The laziness curse w/r/t fantasy series writers is problematic, though, to say the least.

To be fair, that one was more or less unavoidable. Better that than cast children who can't act, grow 2' in 4 months, become obese, etc.

The laziness curse w/r/t fantasy series writers is problematic, though, to say the least.

Yes, but all of the stuff that they've covered to date was written more than a decade ago and book four was eight years ago. In theory they could have filmed them all closer together and released them at the current schedule. I know that that isn't the Hollywood way, but soap opera actors do it all the time.

And as I think I mentioned earlier, Martin seems to have type II diabetes written all over him and he's not getting any younger. I worry that he's not gonna make it to the end of series.

Yes, but all of the stuff that they've covered to date was written more than a decade ago and book four was eight years ago. In theory they could have filmed them all closer together and released them at the current schedule. I know that that isn't the Hollywood way, but soap opera actors do it all the time.

And as I think I mentioned earlier, Martin seems to have type II diabetes written all over him and he's not getting any younger. I worry that he's not gonna make it to the end of series.

Agreed re: Martin.

The first bit is logistically impossible. Soap operas are not comparable to a production that include multiple sets in a half-dozen countries on three countries, feature extensive outdoor and location shooting, extensive sets, thousands of props and costumes, hundreds of actors, CGI, original music, first-rate screenwriters, directors, designers, photography (every shot has to be planned, lighting, angles, etc.), etc.

I get where you're coming from, but you're asking too much without really considering the cost or scale. Something's gotta give.

Why not be happy that we are getting the show at all. Not to mention that it is very well done. It could be just awful if it wasn't handled correctly. I give HBO credit for the job they have done with the show. As for Martin, if he never finishes the books who cares. They are a monumental undertaking. I can't imagine what must go into writing something of that breadth and scope. He has shared where he invasions the story going in case something happens to him. I can't believe we a sitting here bitching about his output or the speed in which the episodes are produced. Are you guys ever happy with anything?

reverend1, I agree completely w/r/t the television series.

But I'm totally sympathetic w/r/t the books, given that the readership has made a big investment too, and given Martin their time and money based on promises that he hasn't kept. Some have been loyal for nearly 20 years. They deserve his focus and attention. It'd be a totally different story if he'd been telling them otherwise.

reverend1, I agree completely w/r/t the television series.

But I'm totally sympathetic w/r/t the books, given that the readership has made a big investment too, and given Martin their time and money based on promises that he hasn't kept.
I have just started reading the first book. I have the feeling that the story has greatly expanded well beyond his original intention. I can barely keep all of the characters, who's related to who and who did what to who straight. I kind of feel like he might have a monster of his own creation on his hands. There are so many plot lines occurring simultaneously. I can completely understand why it is taking so long to wrap things up.

I would rather he work at his own pace and keep the same level of quality than have him rush to finish and ruin what he has created.

Back