NKD - Princeton-y Content.

The Cab (Combo 1x12)

I'm not doing a custom cabinet this time. A good friend of mine has had a rough go last year - I'm paying him to do it. It'll be covered in black tweed. Like this with an oxblood grill.

upload_2017-8-27_18-38-47.png

The Driver

Going with WGS Veteran 30. I got a great deal on Reverb.

The Kit

I went with the Mojotone AA1164 Kit for simplicity. I ordered a separate turret board because I wasn't keen on the eyelet board I used for my Champ.

I did opt for an Allen TO20 Output Transformer.

From AllenAmps - Bolt-on upgrade output transformer rated 6,600 ohms to 8 ohms with 2-13/16" mounting centers. Wider 1-1/4" lamination "fat stack" gives this unit more than 60% additional core mass than typical 3/4" stack units (see photo) for improved performance. Special grain-oriented M6 core steel provides maximum output and punch (over the whole guitar spectrum) from a pair of EL84s or 6V6s while its low profile easily clears speakers in combo amps. This unit is a direct bolt-on upgrade for amps such as the Blues Jr.™ and Princeton Reverb™ amps and a good choice for 2xEL84 or 2x6V6 projects using an 8 ohm speaker load and where a compact unit is desired. Great for Princeton Reverbs™ with a 12" speaker installed. 2" tall, 2-5/16" deep and 2-5/8" wide across end bell covers. Black oxide finish with 8" leads. 1.6lbs. Custom paper stick-wound in the USA by Heyboer!

Power Transfomer - ClassicTone 40-18027 -- Upgrade and/or general purpose power transformer for all of the above mentioned amp models (AA1164, AA964). Featuring 120 / 240V dual primary. Plate winding 550 or 630V CT @ 100mA. Voltage compensated for Tweed Series amps as well as later models. Heavier current capacity (100mA vs. 70mA) provides cooler operation and better regulation. The center tap on the heaters is an additional feature. Paper layer wound like vintage era originals!

Toobs

Still deciding.

Faceplate

Doing my own.

Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 6.50.11 PM.png

Last edited:
So, is it done, yet?

SITREP!

Most of the parts are in... The Mojotone small parts kits are assembled as they get orders. So, I'm still in a holding pattern.

I have the turret boards, chassis, and all the transformers. Reverb tank is in too.

<< reminder for picture >>

This build really came out of two things...

1. I really wanted a Princeton Reverb.
2. I bought a AA964 on Reverb for a great price, but someone on eBay bought it hours before. So it was *unbought*

The AA964 is an interesting animal because, if tweaked correctly, you can turn the volume up to 7 or 8 before it starts to break up. So essentially, it's a 15w Mini-Twin. The Princeton Reverb has the extra gain stage. I still may sell another guitar to fund a AA964 too.... Or sell my OTS-20. I dunno yet.

So while we collectively wait on the small parts, let's discuss the design. I'm getting some ideas from fenderguru.com... They have a lot of information, and the more I read about the PR I like how flexible it is.

1. I'm going with a 12" speaker. I just wanna.
2. I'm really interested in toying with the pre-amp tubes. I like a clean amp. It compliments my pedal addiction. I bought an extra tube to do this swap.

From fenderguru:

12AY7 or 12AT7 as preamp tube – Less preamp gain.

If you want a cleaner and spankier tone you can replace the V1/V2 12AX7 preamp tube with 12AT7 or 12AY7. These tubes have lower voltage gain and different frequency responses, particurlarly when distorting. 12AX7 tube has a voltage gain factor = 100, while 12AT7 = 60 and 12AY7 = 45. One could describe these tubes to have less harsh and buzzy distortion. This mod does not alter the tone significantly when amp is played clean’ish. You’ll have to increase the volume setting to achieve a similar volume as before. If you hit sweet spot at volume=4 with 12AX7 you may go as high as 6-7 before reaching it with 12AT7 or 12AY7.

There are a lot more interesting ideas here. - http://fenderguru.com/amps/princeton-reverb/

Until then... We wait.

Last edited:
Back