Nissan's vintage Skylines are the most beautiful cars at the New York Auto Show

Very cool.

Symbolic Motors in La Jolla used to have several pristine vintage Skylines at one their facilities. I managed to snap a few pics on one of my visits. I'll see if they're still in my photobucket.

They are about as beautiful as Japanese cars could be, with few exceptions like the Toyota 2000 GT and the 240Z among a few others. Have to give props to the Datsun 1600 Roadster too of course.

I miss having my GT-R now and then, but I'm not regretting letting it go to a new home. I actually miss my 280ZX and my 96 300ZX Twin Turbo much more.

Of course, I'd sell a kidney to have an R34...

Look like they were designed by the same guy who designed the Teisco Del Ray.

Actually, the more I look at it the more it reminds me of the RX-4.

74_mazda_rx4_coupe_12.jpg

so....they took a 240Z chassis and drive train and put it under a body that looks like an Avanti Jr.
and btw, when that "vintage" one was built....i think it was built by Datsun.
:grin:

Is it wrong that I once welded a Dodge 383/727 into a Datsun Roadster chassis?
YES, YES IT IS!!! :grin:
(because you should have used a 4 speed)

i was once considering buying a 1960 MGA with a 283 Chevy in it. i also had a 4 speed.
the only thing that was stopping me was that it looked too much like a back yard job and i didn't want to have to end up re-engineering everything some dufus did.

Sorry, but the early Skylines were Homer ugly at best.
latest

nissan-classic-skyline-gtr-0209.0.png

Japan has done so much better.
toyota2000gt11.jpg

2017-acura-nsx-front-970x546-c.jpg

Well, almost... :grin:
datsun_b210_77.jpg

A guy I knew way back when put a 289 and a 4 speed in a Austin-Healey 100-6. The biggest problem he had was that if he dropped the clutch to fast he bent the wire wheels. The originals were 60 spoke and he was looking for some Cobra wire since they were 72 spoke he though they might take the torque better. No idea if he ever found them.

uploadfromtaptalk1458845747363.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458845760115.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458845778670.jpg

"Datsun" was strictly an export name for the Nissan Brand. The company thought it would go over better in Western markets. In 1982, they started putting "Datsun by Nissan" badges on the export/US cars. In 84 they ditched the Datsun name altogether. Quixotic as it is, the Datsun name has returned in some markets in recent years (India) as an entry level brand with cars targeted to the lower end.

Conversely, as the article mentioned: The original Skylines were built by Prince Motors which was an independent Japanese car maker with no affiliation to larger brands. Nissan took over Prince in the late 60s and the rest is history.

I almost bought a Jensen Intercepter back in the day. It kind of gave me the idea for the 383 in the datsun (the intercepter had a chrysler 440)
1972-interceptor-1.jpg

Reactions: OGG
I almost bought a Jensen Intercepter back in the day. It kind of gave me the idea for the 383 in the datsun (the intercepter had a chrysler 440)View attachment 26432
Love the Interceptor. Gorgeous car.

I am a steadfast hater of dropping non-Nissan engines into Z cars. However, I have a buddy with a built 383 Stroker motor on two bottles stuffed into a 240Z that has been banned from virtually every track in California. It is ludicrous. It can wheelie all the way through 1/4 mile like nothing. It's a terrifying car. Best part, after grenading several corporate GM rear ends with it, he popped the original Datsun rear end back in as a temporary fix, and it's been in there since. It refuses to break.

I have a good friend that lives close to you named Scott, he's a tech wizard at Netflix. Anyway, he has a 280Z with a built RB26DETT (R34 Skyline motor) in it pushing about 750 BHP to the rear wheels. It's a thing of beauty.

Back