Nice MGB

DFB

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I was at my friends shop the other day and he was working on a MGB some guy bought for his girlfriend. It wasn't running at all.

Two hours passed and it's fixed
Nice car,great condition, crappy pics

20160829_172201.jpg
20160829_172151.jpg
20160829_172214.jpg
20160829_172224.jpg

Nice.

I see a lot of those and similar cars around here.
MG, MGB, lots of Triumph models.
They cruise the Niagara River parkway on nice days.

THat was after they jacked the body up to meet minimum height requirements for the bumpers. You can see how high the body sits above the wheels. Got to lower them to improve the handling. Also there was some flex issue with the rear wheels. We used to get complaints of grinding noises in the rear. We noticed paint on the backing plate was being worn off. If you threw the car into a corner there was some flex, somewhere in the rear axle and the drum would contact the backing plate. Our solution, take the drums off and grind a bevel on the drum so it wouldn't touch the backing plate anymore. I always figured it had something to do with excess body roll from having the body jacked up.

As far as reliability goes, if you could properly balance a set of S.U.'s Set the idle, keep the right oil and the right amount in the dampers, clean and gap a set of plugs, and remember to keep spare fuses in the glove box, they would stay running. If you couldn't do those things you had no business owning one. Most of the problems we ran into were caused by people "adjusting" their carbs and getting them so screwed up they couldn't get them back to right.

One more thing, MG's should NEVER have a wood dash. The MG was the bottom of the line. A working man's car. Unlike those expensive Triumph's and the big brother Jags. An MG should have a vinyl covered metal dash.

I owned both an MGA and an MGB. I loved driving them, but worked on them a lot. Both also left me stranded a number of times.
When they were running well, the fun of driving them was unmatched.

Reactions: OGG
i had a '72/'73 MGB while in the USAF, i liked the car, but there were too many things that were not good with it, which is likely why it was traded in.
clutch started slipping, the wiring/DC was screwy as hell. when you turned on the headlights, if you touched the chrome bezel around the switch you'd get a poke.

it was a fun car to drive, but as with many of the british leyland stuff, eternal headaches.

Back