Dig it! NHMPPBD - New Homemade Midi Phantom Power Box Day!

Gorgon90

Harmonic Dive Bomber
Spent a few hours Saturday putting together a project I have been meaning to do for ages.

My Rolls RFX MP128 Midi pedal can run off phantom power supplied down Midi lead but the NUX Midi Switcher I bought for my amp does not supply this. Also has a ground wiring issue if put in the chain with another unit that does but that's another story.

As such I made a little box that takes the 5 wires on one side and splits it to 3 wires for Midi and 2 for power so that I can use a daisy chain from the NUX's power supply.

Works like a charm and means I can reduce the power leads, wall warts and leads I have to run to make it work.

Inside the box:

BoxInside.jpg

Front running to Midi Pedal:

BoxFront.jpg

Back of the box chaining to the Midi Switcher and with wall wart size power socket:

BoxBack.jpg

Took me awhile with all the soldering and careful drilling through the little project box but I'm chuffed.

Hi,

Could you tell me how the cables are connected, or publish a diagram? Please...

Thank you!

Found a few of the reference info that I used when I made the box.

First, from the no longer trading Philip Rees site, this is what I referred to, to know how the Midi wires needed to be wired.

Midi Plug Wiring.png

Secondly, this is a snapshot out of the Rolls RFX MP128 Midi Buddy foot controller manual (availaible on their website) that shows how to add the phantom power wiring. The same information is also available in the manuals for Nobels midi equipped devices.

RFX Wiring.png

Finally this is my mock up of the wiring in the box. This like looking at the Midi Sockets from outside the box. One on the left of the picture feeds the Midi pedal with phantom power. The Midi socket on the right of the picture is then isolated and able to be connected to my NUX PMS-2 switcher that doesn't like the phantom power. I obviously didn't use 5 different colour wires as you can see in the photos at the top as I only had red and black available. If I do this again I probably will give serious thought to getting some extra coloured wires as it would make it easier to follow.

Midi Phantom Power Diagram.png

Back