NGW

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
New Guitar Weekend.electricguitar054

I got home from the conference in Cape Cod 11:15 PM Friday night to discover the Luna Neo had arrived:
$_57.JPG

Since I had an 8:embarrassed:0 AM appointment Saturday morning, I didn't get to do more than unpack it and play a few chords unplugged. Saturday was appointments until 2, then I went home and crashed. I finally got a chance to plug this in tonight.

I have admitted that I just figured all electric guitars sound the same. Once I plugged this in, I could tell that this was different from the Tele-style guitar I own. I must admit, also, that I like this better. The best way I can describe it is that it sounded fuller to me. I ran it through the Fender Frontsman amp and tried the various switch positions. I find I prefer the center (I assume that is both pickups) and the top position (which I assume is the neck pickup). I even used the gain setting on the amp for a couple of songs. :eek: I then plugged in my Tele and felt it sounded thin. This was a revelation to me, since I have always chosen electric guitars solely based on aesthetics.

I got this new, not in the box, for a great price. I am awaiting a tie-dye poster so I can redo the design under the pick guard. The ability to personalize it in that way was one of the selling points of this for me. The guitar needs a set-up and some new strings, but I can tell this will be my go-to electric guitar. I have a project I am hoping to pull off with some friends and this is, I think, the guitar for the electric portion of the project.

beavis0

HNGD!:thu:

Your assumption are correct...humbuckers like those have a much wider magnetic field that the single coils on your tele, and thus sound fuller...the middle switch position is both on, up is neck on...

I am learning a lot, thanks to the good folks here.

I will still keep the Tele, though, which surprises me as I tend not to hold on to "extra" instuments. Once I replace the pickguard I will do a new family portrait. :hippie:

Very cool Gary, although I must admit that I never thought of you as a humbucker man. Can't wait to see it with the tie-dye.

HNGD!
Yeah, I guess humbuckers seem to have association with heavier music. Since I have no pre-conceived ideas (also know as being ignorant of facts) I tried it out. It makes sense, in a way, as Jerry Garica's guitars, at least in later years, had humbuckers and I love his guitar sound.

I find I like the headstock on this more than the Fender style, too.

Does anyone know if this would fit in a Les Paul type hard case?

Back