NGD

Stratguy

Coffee Junky
So I went into my local music store with my Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive so that one of the guys there could try it out. He pulled a Brownsville "LP" off the wall, and plugged the Brownsville and the Sparkle Drive into a 60's Princeton Amp. I knew the Sparkle Drive would light up his eyes, and I knew that a classic amp like the Princeton would sound good, too. Now he's looking for a used Sparkle Drive.

When he was done, I sat down with the Brownsville, and was really surprised at it's sound. It has a slimmer body than a standard LP, but it has all the growl. Since it was a used guitar, I'm not really sure if the pickups were stock, or not, but I was really impressed by the sound, and the feel of the fretboard. I checked it when I got home (it just followed me, so I had to keep it), and the fretboard radius is 12", which I have discovered, is my preferred radius.

I also like the shape of the neck. When I was in California, in July, I killed some time playing a few high end PRS guitars, which I enjoyed for a lot of reasons, including the shape of the necks. Generally, they were slightly wider, but a little thinner from front to back. This Brownsville guitar has the same basic shape to it's neck. I did a few bar cords in the store, and they were effortless on this neck. That sold me right there!

So here are the requisite pics:

IMGP9653_zps9b02433f.jpg

Here, you can see the slimmer body, with the belly cut.
IMGP9655_zps8e77b76b.jpg
IMGP9654_zps34ffc539.jpg

Hopefully, on this one you can get an idea of what I was saying about the neck.
IMGP9657_zps4f863e78.jpg

Lastly, this just proves it's a Brownsville. BTW, I believe this was an Asian made Sam Ash brand.
IMGP9656_zps25c9d4c5.jpg

Right on. I remember Brownsville guitars but I don't remember where I used to see them. It seems like they were always in the Sam Ash catalog or something.

:thu:

Yup, Brownsville was a Sam Ash house brand, mostly MIK I believe. Some good guitars in that line.

I'm a big fan of cheap guitars. This one is probably a great platform to do stuff with.

Thanks everyone. One thing that I had thought about was that I might have to change out the cheap tuners. Since they are Kluson Clones, I thought that wouldn't be too tough. Well, I have discovered that the tuning is pretty stable for a cheap guitar. Nice!

Back