NGD - With Audio Clip!

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
And it is not a Luna!!

I have decided to give this a try. If I am not impressed it will go back, but I think I'll like it.
AJPOP.jpg

I'll have it in time for the taping of the CTV program The Song. One of the Lunas will also appear as an open tuning guitar.

I also had to order a clip-on tuner, as my Lunas all had built-in tuners. It will not be on the headstock during performances, though. :embarrassed:

I like that the controls for volume and tone are inside the soundhole, convenient, but not as noticeable. I also like not having the cutaway, as the only time I go above the 5th fret is if I have the capo on the 3rd fret. :grin: I have seem where folks have bought a product that will bring the finish from matte to glossy, which I prefer; I'll probably do that eventually.

Epiphone's Masterbilt series is producing some great guitars. I have a Masterbilt DR500mce, and it is turning into a wonderful guitar. I say "turning into" because it is a completely solid body guitar (mine is sitka spruce and mahagony). I was told to give it a few days to acclimate when I first got it and played it, and it really did play better after a few days. I got mine in March of 2015, and I have to say that it just keeps getting better and better with time. I did have a setup done through my local music store, and got just the action that I wanted.

HNGD Gary!

I just checked, it is on the Fed Ex Truck and out for delivery. I should be done at the office at 3:30; with any luck. it will be there when I get home. :hippie:

Finally put it down long enough to report. Totally_jammin_out

It is even better than I expected. Aesthetically, it has the look that I have been wanting - sunburst, no cutaway, and electronics that are virtually unseen. Online, many have complained about the matte finish as opposed to the gloss of the Gibson J45. As soon as I pulled it out of the box I realized that the matte finish in no way hurts the looks of the guitar.

I pulled out my new clip-on tuner, tuned up, removed the tuner :embarrassed:, and started playing. The action is amazing right out of the box. The strings are a bit bright yet, but the tone unplugged is nicely balanced; maybe a little bass heavy, but I like that. I am finding that the string placement is slightly different, and fingerpicking will take a little adjustment. I am not hitting some strings with the finger picks but haven't yet figured out why. I ran through four of the songs I am doing for The Song next week and they sound great on this. (I will use one of the Lunas for open tuning.)

I briefly toyed with going all out for a Gibson, but am quite satisfied with this. Tomorrow I will plug it in and see how it sounds; I'm expecting good things. :grin:

Back