NGD vintage 1960 Gretsch 6185

Good to know. The SN dates it to 1960 according to the Gretsch site. Maybe pickup was switched. Or maybe the SN is wrong.

Which Gretsch site do you look on? The GDP (Gretsch Discussion Pages - where I hang out), or the company website. The GDP is usually a bit more accurate with regards to serial #s IMO. If it is a 1960, then somebody swapped out the pickup that was in it, for a Dynasonic.

Get in touch with Ed Ball (KCEddie on the GDP). He's very good with serial numbers, and is the one who told me that my Country Club was a 1954, instead of a 1955.

Which Gretsch site do you look on? The GDP (Gretsch Discussion Pages - where I hang out), or the company website. The GDP is usually a bit more accurate with regards to serial #s IMO. If it is a 1960, then somebody swapped out the pickup that was in it, for a Dynasonic.

Get in touch with Ed Ball (KCEddie on the GDP). He's very good with serial numbers, and is the one who told me that my Country Club was a 1954, instead of a 1955.
SN is 34662. I did date it from the GDP SN dates page. Pickup could have been swapped. I'll ask Ed Ball (KCEddie) when i get a chance. Thanks.

Nice guitar! F.Y.I. - it is not a 1960 Gretsch, but actually a late 50s (1957 or 1958 6185 Clipper. The reason I say this is due to the fact that it has a Dynasonic pickup. Gretsch quit using them in 1958 (the Clipper was the last model they used them for).
Good call. I went to the GDP and we more or less determined that it is a 57 Clipper that somehow got mislabeled.
here is a link
http://gretschpages.com/forum/vintage-gretsch-guitars/help-me-dateidentify-this-gretsch/46694/page1/

Back