NGD - Thorn SoCal GT

altoidman

aka McCartyman
I actually got this about 3 weeks ago. Was waiting until I could take some photos, but I haven't yet so the photos I already have win the prize.

photo1_zps6d529501.jpg

photo-1_zpsf3e78ebb.jpg

front_zps9fcfc20e.jpg

back_zps963b2df6.jpg

bottom_zps64b77a95.jpg

top_zps3bd795ce.jpg

Thorn GT #30
Materials and Components:
· Black Limba body - Solid
· Black Limba neck
· Ebony fingerboard
· 1 x GT-90 Bridge pickup - Soapbar Mount
· Locking staggered tuners w/ no string tree
· Dunlop Dual-design Straplok buttons
· 2Tek bridge (no trim ring)

Specifications:
· 25.5" scale length
· 10" fingerboard radius
· 22 frets - 6100
· 1.670" wide Tusq nut
· Neck profile: PRS W/T Equiv. .860 / .940

Cosmetic Details:
· Mastodon ivory dots & Firesun inlays

Color: Caramel burst - body top/back, neck, headstock

This is my second guitar with a 2Tek bridge (Doug Kauer built my other one). I actually want to cut all my guitars up now and install 2Tek bridges :)

In January of this year I owned more than a dozen PRS guitars and a handful of other brands (Fender, Gibson, Breedlove, Silvertone, Traveler, Cordoba, Reverend, Epiphone, Peavey). I wouldn't quite call it a New Year's resolution but I set a goal of replacing a few PRS guitars with a Kauer, Knaggs, Thorn and a McFeely this year. With this guitar, I'm 75% there and my first McFeely is in progress. I also have plans (and parts) for my second McFeely already. I think in the coming couple of years, I may shoot for adding a Huber, James Trussart and a Suhr to my collection.

Reactions: Tig
That's really nice. I wouldn't have picked that finish if it was just spec'd out on paper. It's like a car in a color that you just can't picture and then you see it and it's like "wow".

SONOVABITCH!!!... I saw that one for sale but sadly had no funds. I'm SUUUPER jealous!!! Congrats.

In January of this year I owned more than a dozen PRS guitars and a handful of other brands (Fender, Gibson, Breedlove, Silvertone, Traveler, Cordoba, Reverend, Epiphone, Peavey). I wouldn't quite call it a New Year's resolution but I set a goal of replacing a few PRS guitars with a Kauer, Knaggs, Thorn and a McFeely this year. With this guitar, I'm 75% there and my first McFeely is in progress. I also have plans (and parts) for my second McFeely already. I think in the coming couple of years, I may shoot for adding a Huber, James Trussart and a Suhr to my collection.

Is there something wrong with teh PRSes? Are you just growing away from them? Too much of the same/similar thing? I'm just wondering what the catalyst for replacing the PRSes was. I'll likely keep my two for ages and pass them on to my boys. I don't foresee being a position to replace them with newer PRSes let alone much more expensive guitars from the likes of Knaggs, Huber, Trussat, etc.

I love the poles in the P-90. It's one of those details that I normally wouldn't think about, but looks so much better than the screw pole-pieces in most classic modern P-90s. I always wonder why Gibson didn't do both pups that way on the original black beauties.

Very cool! What's the circular plate (?) on the back?

Ron Thorn uses stainless steel machine bolts with grommets embedded between the neck and the fingerboard (with the serial number etch in it).

ThornPrecisionLock.jpg

Instead of a 4 bolt plate, he uses a pair of recessed bushings for the higher bolts, and then a recessed 2-bolt neck plate for the latter.

GT002_3.jpg

Back