NGD, the free guitar edition

Muppet

Cat in the Hat
My bass player gave this to me last night. After digging a bit, I've determined that it's about a 2004 Squier Indonesian model. What gives it away are the 70's headstock and the 22 frets. It appears to be mostly stock except for an upgraded bridge and the addition of a toggle, which I'm going to guess kicks the bridge pickup in when using the neck or middle pickups. Not sure how I feel about the tort pickguard. That may get changed. It just kinda clashes with the red burst finish. But hell, it was free. It's kinda lightweight, but the body is pretty thick. I'm not sure of the body wood then. Please feel free to weigh in here folks.
20140917_230810.jpg
20140917_230804.jpg
20140917_230817.jpg
20140917_230822.jpg

Nice guy, your bass player! :thu:

If it plays well and sounds good, you're onto a winner. Regarding the tortoiseshell I like it in general but think it would work better on a tobacco burst preferably with white pickups covers and controls. I 'd either swap that out for a 3 ply black/white/black scratchplate with white pickup covers and controls or a 3 ply white/black/white one and keep the black covers and knobs.

Actually if it's a bathtub rout under there, you could just drop a preloaded scratchplate in with whatever pickup and controls you fancied.

HNGD anyways!

Can't beat the price.

Without more specifics on the model, it is hard to say what the body is made from. Some of the standard models had alder, and the affinity line used agathis. They also used indian red cedar and basswood on some 'vintage' and special models. Agathis was also sometimes used in the standard, but not very often. The bullet cheap models were often, but not always, plywood. You can tell if it is an affinity by measuring the body thickness, as affinity models are thinner than a regular strat.

You can't go by the grain on the outside, as almost every guitar from there was veneered on the front and back.

I don't think there is anything wrong with either choice. Alder is used in tons of fenders, all the way up the the US models. I think the custom shop even used it on their version of the american standard. Agathis is an evergreen from south east Asia. It is pretty cheap to source over there, but don't worry, it is regarded as a very resonant wood that is good for guitar making.

Last edited:
Back