NGD - Something a Little Weird

ellengtrgrl

Guitar Old Timer
Guess what was dropped off at my office, at work today?, and I wasn't even expecting it to arrive here, much less today (I got it from GC in Fayetteville, AR used, and due to their shipping & billing system, being combined, it sounded like it was going to be home delivered)!

NGD-Sept222010.jpg

Me in all of my bedraggled glory (it was an insane day at work today)

MewithNewGuitar.jpg

It's a Danelectro MOD 7. Yes, it's the red headed stepchild of the Danelectro, and 7-string guitar families! I LOVE it! It's a great antidote for super-strat (body style) fatigue! The neck feels great, and not only does it sound good clean, but it sounds SO COOL at high gain! I like Danos, and I like 7-string guitars, so the MOD 7 is a win IMO!

i remember when those came out. i had no idea of what to do with it. i was so lost when i picked one up and knew it would never be a main piece. and all these years later, when i finally own a baritone, i know that i made the right decision. i can get 6 strings. 7 throws me into an alternate universe.

but, for those who can embrace the 7, it's a very cool guitar. between the 6 way switch, the bridge coil split, and the "blow" switch ( :lol: ), it's an incredibly versatile guitar that sounds awesome clean. and then you put it into one of the series combined positions, and it just screams.

nice score. :thu:

Last edited:
You can play guitar at work

That's a WIN IMO :grin:

HNGD

Nah, actually I can't. I took the photos, shortly before I left work for the day. It was late, and I was basically the last one left in the offices. I wanted to use the nice digital camera, we have in the QC Department.

i remember when those came out. i had no idea of what to do with it. i was so lost when i picked one up and knew it would never be a main piece. and all these years later, when i finally own a baritone, i know that i made the right decision. i can get 6 strings. 7 throws me into an alternate universe.

but, for those who can embrace the 7, it's a very cool guitar. between the 6 way switch, the bridge coil split, and the "blow" switch ( :lol ), it's an incredibly versatile guitar that sounds awesome clean. and then you put it into one of the series combined positions, and it just screams.

nice score. :thu:

I LOVE 7s (and 8 & 9 string guitars too for that matter), they allow me to be schizo, and mix bass riffs with guitar riffs, which creates a really cool sound. If I have time, I might make a few sound clips of it. It has a very cool, raw and heavy sound on the bridge 'bucker, at high gain. I'm having my cake, and eating it too. I get my Dano, AND my 7-string fix, all in one guitar. The price was good too - only $225 with shipping and (believe it or not), Wisconsin sales tax. Normally they go for about $350 to $400 on evilBay.

That is awesome. I played one back when they came out, but it didn't have enough BREWTALZ for my 17 year-old self. :facepalm:

That is awesome. I played one back when they came out, but it didn't have enough BREWTALZ for my 17 year-old self. :facepalm:

Did you activate the Blow Switch when you tried it out? With the Blow Switch activated (it's the toggle switch nearest to the neck) basically the signal blows by/bypasses the rotary pickup selector switch, and all 4 pickup coils (the two coils of the bridge humbucker, the single coil middle pickup, and the single coil neck pickup) are wired in series like one VERY big humbucker. It basically creates a mega output pickup. The boost in signal level is high enough, that it puts my amp's high gain channel on the verge of overly compressing! Even on my Peavey's uber clean channel, activating the Blow Switch not only significantly boosts the volume, it can give me dirt in that channel! I used to use EMG 81s, and with the Blow Switch activated on my Dano MOD 7, the output is at least as hot as my old EMGs.

Last edited:
Guess what was dropped off at my office, at work today?, and I wasn't even expecting it to arrive here, much less today (I got it from GC in Fayetteville, AR used, and due to their shipping & billing system, being combined, it sounded like it was going to be home delivered)!

NGD-Sept222010.jpg

Me in all of my bedraggled glory (it was an insane day at work today)

MewithNewGuitar.jpg

It's a Danelectro MOD 7. Yes, it's the red headed stepchild of the Danelectro, and 7-string guitar families! I LOVE it! It's a great antidote for super-strat (body style) fatigue! The neck feels great, and not only does it sound good clean, but it sounds SO COOL at high gain! I like Danos, and I like 7-string guitars, so the MOD 7 is a win IMO!

You look gr8 Ellen are you loosing? I was just looking for Marks loosing thread and wow you look gr8! :wink:
Oh and yea you make any guitar look gr8. Even one of mine would look gr8 in you hands:P

Looks pretty cool. I love the color. Can you give us a run down on what all the switches do? What the heck is a blower switch?

You look gr8 Ellen are you loosing? I was just looking for Marks loosing thread and wow you look gr8! :wink:
Oh and yea you make any guitar look gr8. Even one of mine would look gr8 in you hands:P

Thanks, I hope so (I've been upping my exercise routine.

Looks pretty cool. I love the color. Can you give us a run down on what all the switches do? What the heck is a blower switch?

OK, here's the rundown. Using the first photo as a reference, and moving from top to bottom:

Control #1 (bottom, 2 position toggle switch) - coil splitter for the bridge humbucker.

Control #2 (colored brown) - stacked master volume and tone control. The larger/bottom knob is the volume control, and the smaller/top knob is the tone control.

Control #3 (with black pointed knob) - 6 position pickup selector (the gold colored ring is numbered 1 through 6). The pickup combinations for each position are:
Postion 1 - Neck & Bridge pickups
Position 2 - Neck pickup only
Position 3 - Neck & Middle pickups
Position 4 - Middle pickup only
Position 5 - Middle & Bridge pickups
Position 6 - Bridge pickup only

Control #4 (top, 2 position toggle switch) - this is the so called "Blow", or "Blower" switch. When this switch is activated, it basically bypasses the pickup selector (but not the volume and tone controls), and the coil splitter switch. With the Blow Switch activated, the coils of all of the pickups are wired in series, creating a big 'ol 4 coil humbucker, with mega output. If you run a clean amp, there's a very noticeable volume boost. If you're running high gain, the compression level is noticeably increased (due to the pre-amp, stage being maxed out already, you really can't get much more volume increase).

There ya go! :)

BTW, Danelectro made a 6-string version of my guitar called the MOD 6. It has the same control features as my guitar has, and is considerably more common. It came in the same turquoise color as my guitar, black, pearl white, and burgundy.

DanoModSix.JPG

Last edited:
I dig that a lot. Always wanted a Dano, but the timing is always wrong when one pops up that I am interested in. I didn't even know that these existed.

Sounds like a blast. :thu:

Back