NGD - Peavey Limited Series HB

Stratguy

Coffee Junky
So I was hanging out at the local music store, and I ending up playing a Peavey guitar, and was amazed by the sound. It came in used, so the guys at the store weren't sure if they were original. It has a 5 way switch that splits the humbuckers in position 2 and 4. The best I can figure is that it is a Raptor from about the early 90's, but I am open to hearing from the experts here at Weinerdom, if I am in error. And yes, mystixboi1, it is slightly purple, and has a matching headstock.

I traded in a Brownsville guitar that I had bought there a couple of months ago. Although I wasn't unhappy with the Brownsville, the pickups on the Peavey had more clarity.

So here are the pics:

I traded this:
IMGP9653_zps9b02433f.jpg

For this:
IMGP9664_edited_zpsc78f1219.jpg

IMGP9669_edited_zps72fb2221.jpg

IMGP9665_edited_zps471eef84.jpg

IMGP9668_edited_zpsf81ec9bc.jpg

IMGP9674_zps411c5cc8.jpg

I appreciate the responses guys. I have a serial number, so maybe I can shoot an email and pic to Peavey to see if I can find out. I know the headstock would be right for a Rapter, but the flame top is not what I would expect on a Rapter, so the search continues.

So, I have determined that it has a Hipshot 2 point tremolo bridge, and I just ordered a new tremolo arm. What I have read is that these tremolos are very smooth, and they hold the tuning well with use. Next, I'll replace the worn chrome control knobs. I like the 24 3/4" scale length. I figure as I get older, the 24 3/4" will be kinder to my hands than the 25 1/2", and everything I have now (except for an Epi LP with a trust rod issue) is 25 1/2".

Mistery solved, and I was way off! It turns out that I got a much better guitar than I knew, because this is a USA made Peavey Limited HB. I was mistaken about the 24 3/4" scale. Although the neck appears to be shorter, when I measured the scale length, I was surprised to find that it was 25 1/2". That was important in being able to identify it as the Limited HB.

Specs:
1 Peavey VTH High output bridge humbucker and 1 "dual wound" neck pickup (wax dipped)
Master volume and tone controls
5-Way Switch selector
Switchcraft output jack
Fully shielded electronics

Body
Tone-chambered lightweight body with AAAA bookmatched flame maple top
5 bolt body/neck joint contruction with unique heal for easy access at the upper register

Neck
Eastern Hardrock Maple with graphite reinforcement
12" radius Rosewood fingerboard
25.5" scale with medium jumbo frets
3+3 straight headstock with patented recessed machine heads for straight/parallel string pull

Hardware
Premium Grover die-cast machine heads, with patented string lock feature, 18 to 1 ratio
Polished, lightweight aluminum lowboy knobs
Zero friction topnut
Peavey/Hipshot Ultra Glide Tremolo System with patented bearing action with stainless steel saddles

The 5-way pickup selector
1 - bridge humbucker
2 - inside coils of both neck and bridge
3 - both humbuckers
4 - outside coils of neck and bridge
5 - neck humbucker

Polyester/urethane finish

Manufactured in Leakesville Mississippi

I must say that this turned out to be a great trade. I traded in the Brownsville, and added $100 to get the Peavey, and it is a huge upgrade.

Yeah, it's a Limited HB. A store I worked at in the early 00's had them and they were great little guitars that no one seemed interested in. We ended up blowing them out for $200. Personally i was never a fan of the pickups, but you seem to like them better, so HNGD!

Yeah, it's a Limited HB. A store I worked at in the early 00's had them and they were great little guitars that no one seemed interested in. We ended up blowing them out for $200. Personally i was never a fan of the pickups, but you seem to like them better, so HNGD!

Thanks Andy. I do like the pickups, but since my Epi LP has a truss rod problem that can't be fixed, I may take the Classic 57's out of it, and put them into the Peavey. I still like the pickups in the Peavey, at this point, so we'll see.

Back