NGD - My no-strat purity is gone

Ignored Member

Neutered male
Peavey Predator - Made in USA.

The owner listed it on craigslist for $40. I emailed him right away and was honest. I let him know it was probably worth closer to $100 in good condition. But, if he just wanted to get rid of it, I'd offer him $60 to ease my conscience and be there in a few minutes.

Truth be told, I wanted to preempt anyone who pounced on the $40 price ahead of me.

He seemed a little confused but agreed.

I've seen several of these in very rough condition so I wasn't totally sure it was going to be worth it. When I checked it out, the neck was good and the frets were fine. It was scratched up but nothing was structurally wrong. Score.

Got it home and did a little work. I added a spring to flatten the bridge down. The pots are terrible. The pickguard is obviously non-original and doesn't fit the body or the pickups that well. The bridge and tuners are functional but cheap, cheap, cheap.

But it works. I have a Gotoh two-point trem that needs a home and appears to line up perfectly. I have good tuners on unused necks that might fit. Pickguard and pickups will probably be taken care of in time. The neck is better than ok.

And, holy moly, I forgot how good the neck pickup of a strat sounds clean. I'm tempted to get a pickguard that's just a neck pickup and a volume pot -- like an inverse Eddie Van Halen.

HNGD!

I've got a Peavey Raptor EXP II that I bought for my daughter to start lessons and all of the instructors that have seen it, hers and mine, comment on how well it plays and sounds.

$60 when he wanted $40? That's a cool thing to do, especially if he might have been selling some stuff due to a hard time.

HNGD, and congrats on the good find!

Very cool. FWIW, I picked up a '92 USA Predator yesterday for $50 with an original gig bag. I don't think mine was ever played. It's spotless.

i actually saw a two pickup strat on TGP yesterday that could be interesting...

I have some non-standard electronics plans for it over time. The middle pickup doesn't bother me if I lower it almost flush to the pickguard.

I have no use for the middle pickup alone and would like to have a bridge + neck position. I might do a 3-way toggle with a push/pull tone pot to turn on the middle pickup. I generally hate push/pull pots, though, so I might do a mini-toggle.

As much as I bash the volume knob position on strats, it's not really that bad. I might move it if there's a way to do it that doesn't look stupid.

...or how about this?

Keep all three pots but wire them like this:

master volume - master tone - middle pickup volume

Then replace the five-way switch with a three-way for the bridge and neck pickups.

That gets me the bridge + neck combo but also lets me roll in a pos 2 or 4 sound if I want it.

Plus it looks stock.

Back