NGD! Martin OM-28 Custom (Elderly)

Sauntman

Hack
Earlier in my search for a new acoustic I decided I wanted a Martin, but hadn't decided on an exact model. That mellow "Martin" tone appeals to my ears. I was thinking a Dread. Last week at my local GC, I played several models, including an HD-28, a D-35 and a used D-35 MP. The sticker price on each was higher than my $2,500 max budget (which wasn't that high until I started shopping). I loved them all, but if money were no object I think I would have went for the HD-28.

This morning I made the hour drive to Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. As was anticipated, they had a much better selection of both new and used Martins. I wanted to test drive a D-18 and after some online research and further thought I wanted to try out a 000-28 and an OM-28. Long story short, I decided the 000 body was more comfortable for me, did not lack for tone and worked well for my mainly flatpicking style of playing. I shifted from wanting a Dread to a 000. I played both a 000-28H and the OM-28 extensively and ultimately pulled the trigger on the OM-28 Custom (Elderly). I preferred the 1 3/4" nut and wider string spacing on the OM-28 versus the 1-11/16" nut on the 000-28H. The OM-28 is full scale (25.4") whereas the 000-28H is short scale (24.9"). Both have scalloped X bracing, but the OM-28 has 1/4" whereas the 000-28H has 5/16" bracing. The 000-28H was $300 more (a little more appointments) and this did factor into my decision, but I preferred the majority of the specs of the OM-28. Both played and sounded great. Elderly is excellent as well I should add.

This evening at home I played my new OM-28 for a few hours and am convinced I made the right choice for me. Very pleased. :love:

Both the OM-28 and the 000-28H I am referring to are no longer standard Martin models, they are built specifically for Elderly by the Martin Custom Shop. I will try to post some pics tomorrow of my OM-28 Custom (Elderly). For now, here are the specs:

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/OM28CUST.htm
  • MODEL Elderly Custom OM-28
  • CONSTRUCTION: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint
  • BODY SIZE: 000-14 Fret
  • TOP: Solid Sitka Spruce
  • ROSETTE: Style 28
  • TOP BRACING PATTERN: Standard X Scalloped
  • TOP BRACES: Solid Sitka Spruce 1/4''
  • BACK MATERIAL: Solid East Indian Rosewood
  • BACK PURFLING: Style 28
  • SIDE MATERIAL: Solid East Indian Rosewood
  • ENDPIECE: White Boltaron
  • ENDPIECE INLAY: Black/White Boltaron
  • BINDING: White Boltaron
  • TOP INLAY STYLE: Multiple Black/White Boltaron
  • SIDE INLAY: none
  • BACK INLAY: Black/White Boltaron
  • NECK MATERIAL: Select Hardwood
  • NECK SHAPE: Low Profile
  • NUT MATERIAL: Bone
  • HEADSTOCK: Solid/Diamond/Square Taper
  • HEADPLATE: Solid East Indian Rosewood /Raised Gold Foil Logo
  • HEELCAP: White Boltaron
  • FINGERBOARD MATERIAL: Black Ebony
  • SCALE LENGTH: 25.4''
  • # OF FRETS CLEAR: 14
  • # OF FRETS TOTAL: 20
  • FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT NUT: 1-3/4''
  • FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT 12TH FRET: 2-1/4''
  • FINGERBOARD POSITION INLAYS: Style 28
  • FINGERBOARD BINDING: none
  • FINISH BACK & SIDES: Polished Gloss
  • FINISH TOP: Polished Gloss
  • FINISH NECK: Satin
  • BRIDGE MATERIAL: Black Ebony
  • BRIDGE STYLE: Belly
  • BRIDGE STRING SPACING: 2-1/4''
  • SADDLE: 16'' Radius/Compensated/Bone
  • TUNING MACHINES: Chrome Enclosed w/ Large Buttons
  • RECOMMENDED STRINGS: Martin SP Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Light Gauge (MSP7100)
  • BRIDGE & END PINS: White w/Black Dots
  • PICKGUARD: Black
  • CASE: 533E Geib Style
  • INTERIOR LABEL: none

Last edited:
I love Martin OMs (my main acoustic is an SWOMGT). Everything you said re: the comparison is absolutely spot-on. The OMs are the sleepers of the Martin line.

Happy NGD!

Nice choice! I'm glad you gave several models a chance and chose the one that worked/played/sounded best for you. I'm a big fan of smaller body guitars. :thu:

Personally for my style, the 000-28H would have been the one, but I'm a mutant.

Nice choice! I'm glad you gave several models a chance and chose the one that worked/played/sounded best for you. I'm a big fan of smaller body guitars. :thu:

Personally for my style, the 000-28H would have been the one, but I'm a mutant.

It really was a close call for me. I wouldn't mind the shorter scale of the 000-28H, but the wider nut and string spacing of the OM-28 helped me play a little cleaner. Also, I will be tuning down a half step or whole step fairly frequently.

I am glad I made the trip to Elderly. Very laid back atmosphere with no high pressure salesperson in your face every 10 minutes. They don't seem to mind you sitting in there testing out guitars for hours. The guitars I played all had relatively fresh strings. All their guitars are inspected and set up before they put them in their showroom. My particular OM-28 is very playable and doesn't need any tweeking.

Reactions: Tig
Awesome! Congrats! And post a pic so we can see it that it is real! A pic in your own playing space is vastly superior to the promo shots.

:wink:
Here are some pics (albeit low quality pics) to provide evidence of my new Martin OM-28 Custom

MartinPic4_zpsf5801e5b.jpg
MartinPic3_zps6d501024.jpg
MartinPic2_zps7e9b69c4.jpg
MartinPic1_zps02190792.jpg

Excellent. I like those pics much more than the Elderly ones. The Elderly pics seem to make the rosewood look way lighter than it really appears. Nice guitar!

Excellent. I like those pics much more than the Elderly ones. The Elderly pics seem to make the rosewood look way lighter than it really appears. Nice guitar!

Yeah, the rosewood is darker than it appears in the Elderly pics. Also, my pics came out better than I had thought. Not too bad for a cell phone camera and taken by someone who doesn't take a lot of pics.

Beautiful guitar! (Oh, and that carpet really pulls the room together.)

Thanks. Just a relatively inexpensive area rug I picked up at Lowes, but it does match the carpeting in the room very well. This is a spare bedroom I made into my designated guitar room. It is a comfy room to jam in. Totally_jammin_out

Back