NGD - Couldn't help myself

smurfco

Meatus McPrepuce
I said I wasn't gonna get much else after I got that Gretsch earlier this month. Well - this may be it for a while but...

I saw this on Reverb on Tuesday and made a fairly low offer relative to their asking price. They countered with an offer $25 above that and I said what the hell. They're in Maryland so they shipped it Tuesday evening and I had it in time for yesterday's band rehearsal.

The pickups are mediocre (I ordered some Fralins already to upgrade them with), but being MIJ I expected that. Everything else though.... boneriffic. I absolutely love the way this one feels and plays. The Bigsby works really smoothly and once the new strings I put on (10s) settled in I didn't have any tuning issues. At some point I may swap in a mustang bridge (or go crazy and get a Mastery) because I've had bad experiences with the screws rattling out of Jazzmaster-style bridges before, but for now it's just fine.

And it looks stunning in person. A really great sunburst, and a very light mint green pickguard. Dark rosewood board. And it just feels solid in your hands.

It's brand new, too - I peeled the plastic off of the guard and everything. 2015 made in Japan, a limited edition of 175. Not that that really means much but Fender Japan is winding down their production so this may be one of the last new instruments from Fender Japan at least for a while.

Pics from the original Reverb ad:

mmcp5zejf4xizf00zwgi.jpg

nmek7nvarusaxr7sb7ky.jpg

gxskhdhnduparqfn11px.jpg

p3ciw17qz3vi2noej6il.jpg

Congrats!

I have never understood why the pickups on the Fender MIJ guitars have almost always been shite. Everything else is top shelf.

HNGD

I have a friend unloading one of those from about '05 with some upgrades, right now. Plays nice.

Congrats!

I have never understood why the pickups on the Fender MIJ guitars have almost always been shite. Everything else is top shelf.

These aren't horrible sounding, they're just nowhere near as good sounding as the Lollars in my flower tele. I figure Lollars in one, Fralins in the other is a good way to go.

Nice-looking guitar. Is it heavy with all that hardware?
It's heavier than my flower tele, but that one is basswood. It definitely has some heft to it but it isn't a backbreaker or anything like a Les Paul.

Back