Next project...The Foo Bass

Yup.
image.jpg

Here are the lacewood neck laminations. There'll be a thin mahogany strip in each seam. Five pice neck.

And here's the top.
Rodney splitting the board. Sweating bullets.
image.jpg

And with a lacewood strip down the bookmatch.
image.jpg

The mineral streaks were a bit of a bummer but at least they look cool.

Here are the laid up neck boards.
image.jpg

The fretboard.
image.jpg

And the tuners.
image.jpg

We also have the nut, fret wire, truss rod, side markers and headstock face plate. I think we're ready to make a neck now.

Here's one big decision I think I've made but I'll ask y'all....I bought a piece of ebony for a pick guard because my thumb wears a pot hole above the bottom string, mostly back by the bridge pickup but with the mahogany I'm thinking no pick guard. I love the ebony and already have it bought but it would cover up part of that nice mahogany. I was going to make an oblong egg guard sort of like a Music Man bass. What say Ye?

Here's one big decision I think I've made but I'll ask y'all....I bought a piece of ebony for a pick guard because my thumb wears a pot hole above the bottom string, mostly back by the bridge pickup but with the mahogany I'm thinking no pick guard. I love the ebony and already have it bought but it would cover up part of that nice mahogany. I was going to make an oblong egg guard sort of like a Music Man bass. What say Ye?

No pick guard. Wear the hole.
That mahogany doesn't need any help to look good.

Back