Next project...The Foo Bass

Elias Graves

Common misfit
Now that the tele is done, I'm on to my first commissioned build. Sort of. My brother has been wanting a custom 5 string bass for some time so we're gonna do it!
Plans are still coming together but we have the basics nailed down.
34" five string with Soapbar passive pickups.
Semihollow body that'll be a cross between a Jack Casady bass and a Gibson Midtown bass.

The shape of the Casady. If you look at it, that's a 335 horn on top and a Les Paul horn on the bottom. Strange, but it makes a cool offset in my eye.
image.jpg

And I'll use the construction of the Midtown. A hollowed out solid body with a top applied.
image.jpg

Now, we are starting from nothing here. The "brother deal" here is that Foo has to pay for all the supplies but I'll give the labor for free.

I'll start off with the "purchased" list. I'll update this as we go, I hope, and everyone can see how little money one actually saves by going DIY. The problem is retail pricing. Parts are more expensive than complete guitars and unless you get deals on stuff, paying retail for bridges and tuners and pickups gets expensive fast. Wood is even worse.

5/16/15
Woodcraft Supply
Hard maple, 3"x3"x36" $35
Black palm, 3/4"x3"x36" $35.00

I forgot where I ordered the truss rod from but it was $24 with shipping.

$94 total so far.

I dunno. The fretboard may go back.
This stuff splinters very badly into huge knifelike gouging machines vicious enough to remove meat.
Not exactly a good quality in a fretboard.

I've got a similar project mothballed--a through-neck bass with two hollowed-out wings, though I think mine is symmetric. The first time I worked on it, my shop was broken into so I had to set it aside as I replaced tools. Then we moved, and I worked myself into a corner that I couldn't fix. I might dig it out this summer and see if I can get it back on track. Both of those basses look super cool, so a hybrid should look great. Have you given thought to a finish yet?

I like the headstocks. I'd consider putting the 5th tuning key half way down on the neck to keep the headstock symmetrical.

I've got a similar project mothballed--a through-neck bass with two hollowed-out wings, though I think mine is symmetric. The first time I worked on it, my shop was broken into so I had to set it aside as I replaced tools. Then we moved, and I worked myself into a corner that I couldn't fix. I might dig it out this summer and see if I can get it back on track. Both of those basses look super cool, so a hybrid should look great. Have you given thought to a finish yet?

I think it'll be a blue metallic with cream binding.

I like the headstocks. I'd consider putting the 5th tuning key half way down on the neck to keep the headstock symmetrical.

We have a headstock design already picked out. It won't look like the Gibson.

I dunno. The fretboard may go back.
This stuff splinters very badly into huge knifelike gouging machines vicious enough to remove meat.
Not exactly a good quality in a fretboard.

I've used red palm before for general wood working and it can be a nightmare...those splinters are like snake fangs.

Alright. -$35 for the black palm.
+$37 for the ebony.
Then, we have some binding, pots, tone cap and output jack.

image.jpg
image.jpg

It's a nice, dark hunk of ebony. Quite striking.

SUPER HOT PAINT COLOUR!

But to sound their best a 35"+ scale is usually best... tighter, more accurate intonation.
It's just GM Medium Blue Metallic but it's pretty close to pelham blue. Anyway, Foo used to have a car that color and always liked it.

I see. Will investigate the scale business.

Back