New Year, New Jam!

When I was first messing with this one, I was doing the A to G thing, but it wasn't doing it for me. So I just started playing scales until I found one that sounded good over both chords: F Maj. Now, someone more theory oriented than I will have to tell me what "mode" that is 'cause I sure don't know. But I was loving the way it was sounding, and because the stock riffs weren't necessarily working, it freed me up to do some weird stuff with intervals/patterns I wouldn't normally use, etc. And, of course, the B section was pure G pentatonic wank.
:wink:
I really dug this one.
:thu:

Last edited:
When I was first messing with this one, I was doing the A to G thing, but it was really lame sounding. So I just started playing scales until I found one that sounded good over both chords: F Maj. Now, someone more theory oriented than I will have to tell me what "mode" that is 'cause I sure don't know. But I was loving the way it was sounding, and because the stock riffs weren't necessarily working, it freed me up to do some weird stuff with intervals/patterns I wouldn't normally use, etc. And, of course, the B section was pure G pentatonic wank.
:wink:
I really dug this one.
:thu:

Thinking about it..:facepalm:...

Amin = A C E
Gmin = G Bb D

FMajor = F G A Bb C D E

So, all the notes are present and correct...though FMajor doesn't "feel" like the home key to me..as it never really goes there I guess :shrug:

So, treating each chord as "separate"...thinking modally...:facepalm:....if you emphasise that Bb over the Amin chord..I guess it's a Phrygian flavour and over Gmin the Bb and E would suggest G Dorian.

I think. Maybe. :shrug: :embarrassed:

The A and G aren't minor, though, are they?
Sounds like A7 and G7 to me.
idn_smilie

EDIT: gah

Last edited:
IIRC this is just an A and G major chord progression. A mixolydian would be the first choice although one thing I would do over this is play A major and G major triads....let me listen to Micwalts take.

The A and G aren't minor, though, are they?
Sounds like A7 and G7 to me.
idn_smilie

Really? This is going to be embarassing for me, if true. :facepalm:

EDIT: Guys, I checked it out and am pretty sure that the chords are minor.

Last edited:
oops...now that I've listened the chords are C-Bb in the vamp and the G7 in the breakdown.

Sorry guys...I'm trying to play with both kids yelling and trying to strum my guitar :facepalm:

Try C mixolydian over the C-Bb part and G mixolydian over the G7. Or C bluesy-pentatonic type wankery.

oops...now that I've listened the chords are C-Bb in the vamp and the G7 in the breakdown.

You're right. What was I smoking? I just picked up the guitar, and it's totally C7 and Bb7. I should edit my post about how I started jamming to this thing. When I said I was doing the A to G thing, I should've said I was doing the C Maj (Am) to BbMaj (Gm) thing.
My bad.
However, the question remains: why does F Maj work over these two chords?

You're right. What was I smoking? I just picked up the guitar, and it's totally C7 and Bb7. I should edit my post about how I started jamming to this thing. When I said I was doing the A to G thing, I should've said I was doing the C Maj (Am) to BbMaj (Gm) thing.
My bad.
However, the question remains: why does F Maj work over these two chords?

Fmaj = C mixolydian.

Cool. I think you've got the "verse" section down pretty well.

I don't have any of it down well. For whatever reason, this progression is a nightmare-like for me. :facepalm:

I feel like I can't hear anything against it. idn_smilie

Last edited:
Well, in the spirit of embarassing revelations, here's a take that I did:

http://www.box.net/shared/pclckr88u6

I plan on doing another, cleaner take, but this was the first one that sounded something like I want it to sound. idn_smilie

I thought that was fine :thu:..I can hear that you're not happy with it though..you normally sound more confident with the phrasing. :)

I just realised I did mean Am/Gm (CMaj/BbMaj)...I have a tendency to "convert everything to minor"...which is probably why my Major playing sucks :facepalm:...I'm going to try another version tonight with that in mind :facepalm:

Back