New Windshield Wiper Jam

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
My factory wipers were pretty much toasted after 3 years of use. They pretty much were only good for streaking the windows. I picked up a set of Bosch Icon wipers and mounted them up this morning (perhaps a 2 minute job). What a difference! I put a set of these on the wife's car last year. I'm a big fan of these things. They really move a ton of water, which is a big deal in Florida with the big rain we get in the summer.

So early in the relationship with Mrs. T did she ever say, "I knew dating a scientist would be different"? :grin:

So early in the relationship with Mrs. T did she ever say, "I knew dating a scientist would be different"? :grin:

lol. She actually met me long before I was a scientist. I took her to the prom.

Reactions: Tig
Polishing your windshield helps a lot, too. I use Griot's Garage windshield polish.
Agreed. I have always used RainX. I have not tried the Griot's product. I think it helps the wipers last longer and be more effective too. Got used to having a polished windshield in western WA/Seattle area, with all the rain, and never looked back.

For me, blades have to have good cold temp performance too for snowy/slushy days. I will try those Bosch ones. My german car will approve I think.

Exciting times 8-)

Icons are decent blades. Supposedly wiper blades are like strings, lots of brands made by a few actual mfgs.

Agreed. I have always used RainX. I have not tried the Griot's product. I think it helps the wipers last longer and be more effective too. Got used to having a polished windshield in western WA/Seattle area, with all the rain, and never looked back.

For me, blades have to have good cold temp performance too for snowy/slushy days. I will try those Bosch ones. My german car will approve I think.
Does rainx actually market an abrasive glass polish? I thought they just do glass treatments but haven't really paid attention as their silicone based consumer products never lasted very long for me (but at their price point it's not like reapplying is an issue)

Does rainx actually market an abrasive glass polish? I thought they just do glass treatments but haven't really paid attention as their silicone based consumer products never lasted very long for me (but at their price point it's not like reapplying is an issue)
I just use the consumer stuff. I cannot say it is an abrasive polish, but it does cause the water to bead up and run will, and help avoid streaking from the wipers, etc. Also, it seems like bug clean up is better with it applied. Started using it when I participated in the Alfa club track days in Seattle, when we drove in the wet as well as dry. Lasts reasonably long for me (re-apply once a month or so maybe, generally less often than that). As I said, I never tried anything else, including the Griot's stuff. first I heard of it was this thread, and I figured it was a lot like RainX. Also, that "polishing" meant doing what regular old RainX does, as opposed to an actual abrasive.

Last edited:
I've been using Aquapel for a long time. It is very similar to the silane treatment we use for glass plates in the lab. It creates a chemical layer on the glass that repels water. Works great and lasts for like 6 months between applications. I've not tried any of the wax or filler stuff before.

I'm still on original factory wiper (only 3k miles on vehicle). One of my pet peeves is streaky wipers. I use rainx but will definitely keep these tips in mind. Thanks

Reactions: Tig
I'm a big RainX fan. The amount of rain we get these days in minimal :( but I used to drive in the Santa Cruz mtns and when it rain it rains big time. I could run with my wipers on intermittent in a driving rain storm. And the bottle lasts forever (note that in Nor Cal we have no need to use wipers from May-Nov pretty much any year)

I'm still on original factory wiper (only 3k miles on vehicle). One of my pet peeves is streaky wipers. I use rainx but will definitely keep these tips in mind. Thanks

I will check out the Aquapel when I run out of our supply of RainX. Don't think I need to do the full polish thing at this point.

Back