New Vintage Snare Day

speakerjones

my hat is all
I bought this drum a couple months back for a sweet deal on Craigslist. It was in rather rough shape with someone having tried, and failed miserably, to do a refinish or wrap on it. It had the wrong (albeit functioning) strainer on it. The seller claimed it's a '49 Buddy Rich Super Classic. It's really hard to say for sure without the original strainer and finish intact. The badge does indicate that time period though, and the size (5.5x14) is the same as the BR model, so could be.

The nickel hardware was all pretty dirty, so I set to cleaning all that up. The bigger bits I used Nevr-dul on, the small stuff I left in white vinegar overnight. I was able to locate the correct time period P83 strainer. It's chrome, but beat-up and pitted enough that it blends in just fine with the nickel. My buddy Ryan really wanted to take on the refin and I really didn't have time myself, nor did I want to pay for a pro job. So, he brought over the finished product today and we did the assembly. He wasn't too happy with himself for the way the finish came out. There are some small imperfections, and it could be a little smoother. I'm totally happy though because I think a slightly imperfect finish goes better with the hardware that's seen over 65 years. And the color I chose is antique white, which gives that gigged-in-smokey-clubs effect. It sounds fantastic. It has a nice warm body to it, with a loud snap on top. I can tell it's going to record well.

Before:
18B9D086-6CF7-45E7-B38D-5513D60739B1.jpg

CBB23E90-F509-48FF-B32D-CE47558D9D1F.jpg

After:
7553E57F-ECF4-4677-8876-54C758BA240D.jpg

0F8BA6A3-8D3E-4A5C-91BB-241F74777CC5.jpg

Back