New Teutonic Death Wagon....

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
I'm going to pick this car up later this week (it is in Lugano, so a bit of a hike to get to it). It is a Mercedes C400 4matic T-model. Kind of a sleeper car, as the thing is an AWD car with ~333 hp and can blast to 62 mph in around 4.7 seconds if you set everything to go fast mode and use the launch control system. It is more of a highway cruiser than a sports car replacement, but a sub 5 second wagon is still pretty darn fast. It is a plain Jane model without all the AMG styling stuff stuck on the outside. The sales guy tells me the Swiss models have closer to 355 hp as they have different tuning due to not having to meet strict European Union emissions targets. The build sheet just lists two option codes right next to one another for Swiss Delivery Emissions and M014 enhanced engine performance, so who knows if that is legit or not. I drove a local one and it is stupid fast, so whatever they put in it is good enough for me.

For the car nerds among us, it is a 3.0L V6 intercooled twin turbo engine with a sequential gearbox you can paddle shift if you want to. The AWD system, transmission, and suspension can be set to pretty aggressive sport and sport plus modes if you want that sort of thing. Cool part, though, is that it is a proper station wagon that you an actually haul shit in.

The car is a showroom demo with 20 kilometers on it. In Switzerland, people go to a car dealer, look at a showroom example, then order a car with what they want and wait. At the end of the year, the dealers sell those showroom models at decent discounts. This is one of those cars. If you don't care about specific options/colors, then it is a good way to get a good (by Swiss standards) price on a car. They tend to have weird option mixes, but this one actually is what I would want anyway.

mercedes-benz-c-400-kombi.jpg
mercedes-benz-c-400-kombi-2.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't look Swiss friendly. Don't they fine you like $200,000 and throw you in jail for life if you can't pay? I've heard of people getting stopped for 1 kph over! Sounds like a good country to own a Gee Wizz.

Beautiful car though. Take it to Germany and rock it on the Autobahn.

Switzerland is famous for their progressive traffic fines. They are based on how dangerously fast you area going and your income. If you are going 1-2 km over it is more a speed camera thing, and you would get an American sized fine (maybe 100-200 francs/dollars). Even 5-10 km over isn't going to get you much more of a fine. If you are going 250 km/h in a 120 km/h zone and make a million a year, that fine might be 100,000 francs. The danger of your driving is a big indicator in the size of the penalty. The income thing is to make sure the penalty stings for everyone. There have been quite a few well publicized million franc fines passed down over the years. If you can't pay, they take your stuff. If you have no stuff, they deport you. If you are a citizen they might convert part of your fine to a jail sentence. They can also make sure that you never drive again by not giving you a license or plates.

Luckily, most cars in Switzerland, this one included, have navigation systems that work with the Swiss highway markers and will warn you of the speed limit and remind you if you are about to go over.

Last edited:
Switzerland is famous for their progressive traffic fines. They are based on how dangerously fast you area going and your income. If you are going 1-2 km over it is more a speed camera thing, and you would get an American sized fine (maybe 100-200 francs/dollars). Even 5-10 km over isn't going to get you much more of a fine. If you are going 250 km/h in a 120 km/h zone and make a million a year, that fine might be 100,000 francs. The danger of your driving is a big indicator in the size of the penalty. The income thing is to make sure the penalty stings for everyone. There have been quite a few well publicized million franc fines passed down over the years. If you can't pay, they take your stuff. If you have no stuff, they deport you. If you are a citizen they might convert part of your fine to a jail sentence. They can also make sure that you never drive again by not giving you a license or plates.

Luckily, most cars in Switzerland, this one included, have navigation systems that work with the Swiss highway markers and will warn you of the speed limit and remind you if you are about to go over.
We need that system here in the States.

Oh!! Hncd!!!!

I don't understand why wagons don't sell here. You can get all of the proformance and drivability of a sports sedan, and the utility of a SUV.

I have no idea. I looked on the US page for Mercedes. They don't even have a C class wagon option.

In Switzerland you need snow tires, and often chains, but wagons are much more common than SUVs.

HNCD :thu:

at least in the USA you get a 5 mph cushion before they start talking about tickets. no cars speedo is 1 mph accurate thru all speeds. hell, having tires down 5 psi will make that much difference.

When I go thru towns/construction sites that tell you your speed with an electronic sign, my current car & last car both are/were off by 1mph. If my speedometer says I'm going 46, the electronic sign will tell me I'm doing 45.

And that vagon is hawt! :love:

Drove from my city up into the German Black Forest today. That means lots of miles of no speed limit autobahn driving. Got to test the new car cruising along effortlessly at 125 mph.

Back