New study shows that people stop listening to new music at 33

I listen to a lot of new music, as well as old music.

It's true that the older you get, the more music there is that reminds you of something from your past, duh that's obvious.

I do also agree there is a certain level of 'Everything used to be better back in...[any previous decennium]'. Big loss to these people, as there is plenty of new music to discover

I don't think it is fair to say because a bunch of us are over 33 and we still seek out new music makes the study false. This is a forum for musicians. I would have thought the age was lower based on the people I hang out with in my neighborhood.

I would have thought the age was lower based on the people I hang out with in my neighborhood.

From my experience with some older people I've worked with during the last three decades, I realized that many stopped listening to new music in their early 20's or whenever they no longer went to school. They usually stuck to the hairstyle of that age and time like walking time capsules.

From my experience with some older people I've worked with during the last three decades, I realized that many stopped listening to new music in their early 20's or whenever they no longer went to school. They usually stuck to the hairstyle of that age and time like walking time capsules.

That is exactly what I see in my neighborhood. All the guys my age only listen to Van Halen and 80s rock and they think that is all I listen to as well. It is kind of fun to hang out with them, because I don't really listen to 80s rock when I am in control of the tunes, so it kind of takes me back to my high school/middle days. Most of the guys my age in my neighborhood have never heard of the bands I listen to.

Reactions: Tig
For me, it's not a fair depiction of my world, but it may be for the world at large.
My wife is older than me and is always coming home asking me if I've heard of band X. All of my friends, some coworkers like to talk about new music or ask what I've discovered.
I think we all have those friends that are stuck listening to the classic rock station or the co-worker that only listens to the 80s,90s, and today station (Michael Jackson followed by Katy Perry).

Yeah, but what is that bias? People who use something like Spotify are probably more likely to be music geeks than the general public. The general public isn't buying 180g vinyl.

Actually, Spotify is very common and used by a lot of casual music fans that don't want to pay for music. We are in a far more tech savvy world and if you look at the intro pages to Spotify and the commercials, they are pandering to the casual Top 40/ClearChannel station listening-to music fans. This is far from some underground music geek only environment, so bsman is spot on:

Perhaps, but the fact that they based their thesis on results from two very specific websites indicates to me a large potential for selection bias.

The sample size of music streaming services (not the number of users/members) is too small for this to have any weight. That said, and reiterating what I mentioned above, Spotify has a continually growing user base, so it may become a better/the best evaluation tool for these types of studies in the future, but I'm not sure it's there yet.

Despite the above, this info doesn't surprise me and based on a bunch of folks I know, 33 years-old seems high. I know folks that basically stopped listening to anything new in/after high school, college, 2000, etc. Conversely, we all have family, friends, acquaintances, etc. that are always listening to "new" "music" because they only listen to Top 40 stations and are fine with being spoon fed and basically being told what to like.

In the end it doesn't matter to me at all, because I'm always keeping an ear out for new and new to me music, while still loving my archives. This week I was exposed to Phox and the Family Crest after following a link from here to a Tiny Desk Concert performance. It was either the Punch Brothers or the initial concert led to me seeing that they had a new Punch Brothers TDC. So while listening to that I was checking to see what else was there (seeing the write-ups and listening to the first few minutes of a performance).

I hope I never hit that wall of not liking new and different stuff.

I think we all have those friends that are stuck listening to the classic rock station or the co-worker that only listens to the 80s,90s, and today station (Michael Jackson followed by Katy Perry).

I wrote that part of my ranty post an hour ago, before I had to get back to work and come back to finish...happens all the time with me and the MWGL forums. :thu:

Actually, Spotify is very common and used by a lot of casual music fans that don't want to pay for music. We are in a far more tech savvy world and if you look at the intro pages to Spotify and the commercials, they are pandering to the casual Top 40/ClearChannel station listening-to music fans. This is far from some underground music geek only environment, so bsman is spot on:

The sample size of music streaming services (not the number of users/members) is too small for this to have any weight. That said, and reiterating what I mentioned above, Spotify has a continually growing user base, so it may become a better/the best evaluation tool for these types of studies in the future, but I'm not sure it's there yet.

Despite the above, this info doesn't surprise me and based on a bunch of folks I know, 33 years-old seems high. I know folks that basically stopped listening to anything new in/after high school, college, 2000, etc. Conversely, we all have family, friends, acquaintances, etc. that are always listening to "new" "music" because they only listen to Top 40 stations and are fine with being spoon fed and basically being told what to like.

In the end it doesn't matter to me at all, because I'm always keeping an ear out for new and new to me music, while still loving my archives. This week I was exposed to Phox and the Family Crest after following a link from here to a Tiny Desk Concert performance. It was either the Punch Brothers or the initial concert led to me seeing that they had a new Punch Brothers TDC. So while listening to that I was checking to see what else was there (seeing the write-ups and listening to the first few minutes of a performance).

I didn't say that Spotify users were music geeks, just that they were probably more into music than a completely random sample would be.

Same for me. I've been turned on to a lot of new stuff by following links that show up in MWGL. Sometimes it's links that come from those links. Thanks guys. :thu:

I didn't say that Spotify users were music geeks, just that they were probably more into music than a completely random sample would be.

Didn't say you did...just pointing out that Spotify is HUGE and part of how tens of millions of folks access music these days. As such I don't think their users are that much more likely to be music geeks. Also, tons of music geeks have limited/myopic tastes in music.

One friend basically only cared about listening to Phish for the better part of a decade...I can't imagine doing anything close to that...it would likely make me hate the band and get annoyed with music in general by proxy. I binge on music all of the time, but never exclusively...it's usually mass bingeing on new/new-to-me stuff from several artists from several genres.

Same for me. I've been turned on to a lot of new stuff by following links that show up in MWGL. Sometimes it's links that come from those links. Thanks guys. :thu:

Seriously. It's also a referral "service" that I trust far more than the algorithms for presuming interest in music than Spotify, emusic, Amazon, iTunes, etc.

Reactions: Tig
I don't think it is fair to say because a bunch of us are over 33 and we still seek out new music makes the study false. This is a forum for musicians. I would have thought the age was lower based on the people I hang out with in my neighborhood.

I think Flamencology has made the argument that the survey is a lot bigger and more accurate than anything on this forum. Let's stick with that. It's not about us.

I think Flamencology has made the argument that the survey is a lot bigger and more accurate than anything on this forum. Let's stick with that. It's not about us.

that is pretty much the same thing I said. I can't believe I am making the same point as Flamencology :grin:

Back