New study shows that people stop listening to new music at 33

Exactly. Part of the reason I hate listening to the radio is they play the same crap over and over again. Classic Rock stations have been doing it for 30+ years. :facepalm:
Thus is what led me to seek out college stations, which often play offbeat new music (sometimes by local musicians), or non-American music (reggae, African, Latin). Good college stations include WSHA (Shaw University), WKNC (NC State), and the station at NC Central University.

Reactions: Tig
Not sure how to answer this one. The writer seems to imply new music in regards to the current fad. If that is true, then 85-15% that way. If the writer is defining as not exploring outside what you were listening to up to 33, oh hell no.

I have changed genre in music to listen to something new. This being whether it is old in when the production was done but it is still new to me.

As for classic rock, I don't listen to those stations. Mostly sports, news, Country, Jazz and Blues.

That's why one should listen to metal :rawk:

No as I don't have anger issues anymore or need to be rebellious.

I think it's probably pretty fair. This thread, in an Internet guitar forum, is the furthest thing from a representative sample.

Perhaps, but the fact that they based their thesis on results from two very specific websites indicates to me a large potential for selection bias.

Perhaps, but the fact that they based their thesis on results from two very specific websites indicates to me a large potential for selection bias.

Yeah, but what is that bias? People who use something like Spotify are probably more likely to be music geeks than the general public. The general public isn't buying 180g vinyl.

Define new music? Is that music that's put out in 2015 or is that music released earlier that you just get around to buying?

Spotify is shit and the android app runs like shit. I had to switch to grooveshark to avoid stroking out.

I'm 53 and in the last 5 years I've probably bought 200 cd's or digital albums. This is BULLSHIT!
How many of them were 'new' bands/artists?

Just curious, not an indictment :embarrassed:

I buy cd's all the time. Very few are from bands/artists who's career is 5 years or less.

15 of the bands started in the 2000's and 5 after 2010. For bands say like Corrosion of Conformity that I didn't find out about until later if I like their music I buy all there cd's they have out at once after checking out samples.

The best new band from the last 5 years (debut album came out 2010)

Even better, their name rhymes with bacon :)

while teens’ music taste is dominated by incredibly popular music, this proportion drops steadily through peoples’ 20s, before their tastes “mature” in their early 30s.

Enjoy your Rorsasch blobs and whatever but it is stone literally about how you old people hate on Taylor Swift, and nothing else.

I listen to "new music" but not music made by 15 year olds. Usually, bands that are on TV, Letterman mostly, that I like but may never hit the Billboard Top 10. Years ago I got into Robert Randolph that way. Same with Gary Clark Jr. and Vintage Trouble. No, I'm never going to listen to the flavor of the day boy band or teen queen but I do find some good music out there every now and then.

New music, as in, new pop music? No such thing. It's not just flat out & simple hating on
Taylor Swift- it's seeing though it, having seen their patterns of commercial fabrication progress for several decades.

They can take their formulas & songwriting teams & million dollar recordings that sound like dog shit, & carefully molded fashionistas all that bullshit & just fuck off.

No, I don't seek that- because it isn't new music, it isn't even good music. It's just "current" music.

It doesn't even matter at all- barely a blip in time, although it seems to matter quite a lot to the people that fall for the illusion.

Sure their is new non mass fabricated music out their- I've discovered several of there artists through this forum, but I feel that it takes someone who loves music, or is a musician themselves to seek it- & I suspect that neither 0ne is a very large percentile of their study portion. Music is a background hum to most people, they don't need it, they don't have time to seek it out, & they are more than willing to eat the shit they are served.

It's no wonder that the medium cannot progress any further & is already antiquating itself, when every generation just says "You don't understand me" to the one that came before it, & then just trot out the same shit in different clothes, with an even more heartless business model, and even more restrictive labels as to what is or is not acceptable for the masses.This isn't artistic progression, & it's the exact opposite of new music.

Last edited:
I'm constantly looking for new music. I listen to the college stations, hit all kinds of "genre" stations on pandora and spotify in hopes that something will come up that I like from a band I've never heard of. It's actually disappointing to me how few quality outlets there are for new artists. Radios just play the same pre-selected artists being handed to us from the major recording labels. Yawn.

Back