New strings day

Bob411

thrumming with potential
Hamer Cruise got new strings. It was long overdue. Splurged on some La Bella flats. Had no idea how smooth they are. Going to take a while to get used to them.

Pro tip: Don't tell your wife, "Your legs are as smooth as the new strings on the bass.".

Next time switch it around...

"These new bass strings are almost as smooth as your wonderful legs"...you'll get some leg that night FOR SURE!

I love LaBellas. I think they're the best American made strings for bass (as opposed to those expensive Austrian strings).

I like the feel of flats (D'Addario chromes here) and I like the sound on a P, but I'm not sure about flats on a J -- anyone in the mood to change my mind?

I run Labella flats on my p/j and my short scale. I love em. If I had discovered them sooner I probably wouldn't have gone thru so many good basses.

I like the feel of flats (D'Addario chromes here) and I like the sound on a P, but I'm not sure about flats on a J -- anyone in the mood to change my mind?

The Cruise is Jazz-ish. I was happy with how it sounded for years, with rounds on it. Replacing the strings were a giant improvement but, the old strings went bad.

From the Let's talk strings thread in Guitars:

D'Addario EXL 10 for 9 years now on electric guitar.

D'Addario Pro Arte for the classical guitar

D'Addario something for acoustic.

Ordered La Bella 760FS for the bass yesterday. First bass string change for me ever. Bass was sounding weird. At the very end of the note dying, last less than half a second, it sounded like it was playing through a fuzz. Kids were on spring break last week. That means they are home while Mom is at work and, what Mom doesn't know won't hurt her. I know a guy that got in huge trouble with his wife, he put wire wheel hubcaps in her dishwasher. They came out great, took no effort. Wife found out, made him buy a new dishwasher. That's why I never tried the boil the bass strings, I know my wife and, she would never use whatever pot I used, again. So, last week, son tried it. The strings sound dead now.

La Bella's gauges are beyond confusing. I have no idea what gauge is on there now, whatever was on it when I bought it. So, I figured medium. I got 760FS.

Couldn't remember when I got the Cruise and, therefore how old the strings were, plus, bought it used, don't know how old the string were when I got it. Found it in the Christmas haul thread 2011

Last edited:
Next string change I'm contemplating some flats on my MIM J-Bass. I'm sure they will play and sound great.
A friend has a Am P-Bass and I compared my MIM with his one rehearsal....imo the J-Bass sounded bigger and fuller.

I run these on my Guild Short Scale
IMG_1034.JPG

And these on my SX P/J
IMG_1035.JPG

Back