New speaker on the way for my DRRI

smurfco

Meatus McPrepuce
So when I got this amp maybe five years ago, I put a Weber Blue Dog 12-F50 in it. I never really loved the sound but it wasn't too bad (and I don't play at volume on guitar much) so I left it. Recently I've been rehearsing with my new original band (!) and I've found the amp to be too harsh, too trebly - and in doing a little bit of research it seems that those are common complaints with this speaker.

My research led me to order one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...erican-vintage-guitar-speaker/j01875000001000

Hopefully that warms things up some. People seem to love them in DRRI amps (even though the DRRI is only 22 watts and the speaker is rated at 75). We shall see.

In related news, I will have a Weber for sale here soon if anyone's interested in a harsh sounding speaker. (It may sound great in a different amp)

I got a chance to play the new speaker for the first time at rehearsal tonight and it sounds great, even though it still needs to break in some. It was a big improvement over the Weber. The Weber is a nice speaker, I just don't think it was a good one for this amp. This one sounds very warm, but still clear. No ice pick harshness, which was what I was getting from the Weber.

I'm glad to hear it makes a substantial improvement. I was very disappointed with the sound of my DRRI and I sold it within a month or two.

I'm glad to hear it makes a substantial improvement. I was very disappointed with the sound of my DRRI and I sold it within a month or two.
Thats because they usually sound terrible out of the box if you have had any experience with better amplifiers or vintage versions. A speaker replacement and a retube are usually the minimum needed to make a DRRI sound tolerable.

Thats because they usually sound terrible out of the box if you have had any experience with better amplifiers or vintage versions. A speaker replacement and a retube are usually the minimum needed to make a DRRI sound tolerable.
Probably the case. Mine was used when I got it, but stock (could have been new, guy had it in his closet for 7 years or something like that). I coulda/shoulda put more time and effort into it, but I flipped it for something else, that I flipped again for something else, etc... ended up with the boogie and have been happy since.

Probably the case. Mine was used when I got it, but stock (could have been new, guy had it in his closet for 7 years or something like that). I coulda/shoulda put more time and effort into it, but I flipped it for something else, that I flipped again for something else, etc... ended up with the boogie and have been happy since.
Well, there you go. I think even with the work you would have ended up with the Boogie.

I've done a couple of mods to mine beyond the speaker and tube swap, but I can't exactly remember what they are. Clip a resistor here, bridge a couple terminals there... a few minutes of work and it made the amp really sound good. There's some guide online about it. I got the amp for $500 and it sounds great!

I've done a couple of mods to mine beyond the speaker and tube swap, but I can't exactly remember what they are. Clip a resistor here, bridge a couple terminals there... a few minutes of work and it made the amp really sound good. There's some guide online about it. I got the amp for $500 and it sounds great!
Yeah, I've modded (and built) amps as well. I thought about modding the DRRI I had, but it looked brand new and I figured if I modded it and ultimately didn't like the mods it would hurt the value of it... so, off it went. If I came across another at a decent price, I'd definitely grab it and mod it.

I have a Kustom Coupe '36, which is voiced similar to a blackface Fender -- basically a Deluxe Reverb but with 36 watts. It had the same harsh high end issue that people complain about with the DRRI. I put that same WGS speaker in it and it sounded soooo much better. Then I read a bunch of posts from people who recommended the Eminence Cannabis Rex (it's difficult to leave good enough alone, isn't it?) I decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did. A bit tighter lows than the G12C/S and smooth as can be through the whole frequency range. If as time goes by you find yourself wondering if maybe there is a speaker that might add just a little touch of something more to the tone of your DRRI, I would recommend checking out the Cannabis Rex. Once broken in, it's one of my favorite speakers.

Back