New Song: The Heart Has No Reason

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician

This is a song I wrote this morning, inspired by something Carol and I saw last night while we were out. I experimented with the harmonizer - I think it is too robotic for me. I am looking forward to doing more with the song, though. Here's the lyrics:

The Heart Has No Reason

He met her at a meeting; he had 90 days of being dry.

He was minding his own business when she finally caught his eye.

Though together they have struggled, together they find victory.

Others may decide to judge them, but it looks like love to me.

Chorus
The heart has no reason, love has reason of its own.

And it is not our place to question what the seeds of love have sown.

She met her in the classroom; saw her there on opening day.

And she knew that when their eyes met, it just took her breath away.

They decided not to hide it; they show their love so openly,

Others may decide to judge them, but it looks like love to me.

Chorus

I met her at the art fest, read the book that she had done.

And I knew from that moment, something great had just begun.

We had so many things in common though we came from worlds apart.

Twenty years we’ve been together in a joining of the heart.

Chorus

Reactions: Tig
Simply beautiful, Gary.
Yeah, the harmonizer might sound better if the timing was a little tighter, but otherwise it all sounds great.

Oh, wear some boots, add a stand up bass and a violin and call it Americana!
:poke:

I really like the song Gary beautiful lyrics
I'm not so sure I like the Harmonizer on it though. There is certainly a lot of room for other things ...a violin or a flute maybe and hamonizing with a female voice :shrug:

I don't think the harmonizer works for me, though it gives me reverb for the acoustic amp, which has no vocal reverb. Thanks to Micwalt, I got this for less than a reverb pedal.

I want to add some stuff to the song, and I think a second verse on the chorus is a must. And as to Tig's suggestion, this song isn't rootsy enough for Americana. I don't twang or mention pickup trucks or picking oranges. :grin:

I've wanted to write a song about acceptance of love that is different from the norm, but didn't want to write anything preachy. At the Thirsty Mind Friday night, there were two girls who were high school age who were obviously lovers. No overt PDA's, just the casual gestures that denote intimacy. Even though the majority of the audience was in my age range, no one seemed at all offended or surprised by it. Having seen some of what my sister experienced, I was glad to see that things have changed. I then decided to add verses about other relationships that people might question and point out that love has rules of its own. Altogether, I'm happy with the final result.

Back