New project: What if EVH never painted Franky red?

IMG_20160531_175154.jpg

IMG_20160531_175808.jpg

IMG_20160531_184623.jpg

IMG_20160531_184648.jpg

IMG_20160531_194422.jpg

IMG_20160531_194620.jpg

And I think that's the last coat. Took more white than I thought cuz the black was still showing in the grain, but it's not too thick.

IMG_20160531_221612.jpg

Screw it. this summer, I am getting an affinity or some cheapo squire to make into something inspired, but not quite like, this or the checkerboard one, and use my stock Blacktop strat pups in it. May have stickers on it too. hopefully some rattle can finish of some kind as well. I will use my new neck fixing tools to make the neck feel real nice, and give it to my two younger kids to play. Will be a fun project. I am thinking of a Cheap Trick checkerboard inspired with rivers cuomo strat with the lightning strap stickers look. Will need a Van's sticker for sure.

Last edited:
Might need to consult with the kids though, if I intend for them to play it. I know my son's girlfriend would like that look though, so I have that going for me. Or just do it and give it to them.

I am envisioning a checkerboard "racing stripe" slightly off center, over whatever color I end up with, with stickers.
And just had a thought. Depending on the body color and after finding a Fender family product to use, presumably with an 11 hole PG, I would simply use the PG off my Blacktop, which is kinda Mint, leave those pickups in it after detaching them, and sticker up the PG. With the checkerboard racing stripe.

And just had a thought. Depending on the body color and after finding a Fender family product to use, presumably with an 11 hole PG, I would simply use the PG off my Blacktop, which is kinda Mint, leave those pickups in it after detaching them, and sticker up the PG. With the checkerboard racing stripe.

Even if the holes on the pickguard don't line up, you can still use it. If you are going with some cheap body, a few extra pickguard holes in the body won't be a big deal. If you aren't in a hurry, I would keep checking the Warmoth screaming deals. Every now and then, they sell things for a stupid low price.

Even if the holes on the pickguard don't line up, you can still use it. If you are going with some cheap body, a few extra pickguard holes in the body won't be a big deal. If you aren't in a hurry, I would keep checking the Warmoth screaming deals. Every now and then, they sell things for a stupid low price.
That is not a bad idea. I was just thinking to keep looking for a cheap squire I know has HSH or bathtub routing, as then I would have a neck to work with too. I would still need a neck for a blowout Warmoth body. And I agree on the PG holes. I would even put some toothpaste in an unused hole, dorm style. :wink:

That is not a bad idea. I was just thinking to keep looking for a cheap squire I know has HSH or bathtub routing, as then I would have a neck to work with too. I would still need a neck for a blowout Warmoth body. And I agree on the PG holes. I would even put some toothpaste in an unused hole, dorm style. :wink:

And with a cheapo Squier, you would have the hardware too. That is definitely the cheapest route, but the Warmoth is more fun and better quality :grin:

DAMMIT!!!

upload_2016-6-4_14-1-32.png

I had it all the way in and was actually unscrewing it a bit for height when it broke.

I need to order another one...

I'm pretty sure it was swamp ash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If we're talking about Ed's original Franky, it's hard northern ash. It's a little bit heavier and has a bit more zing in the top end.

I know a lot of people think I'm crazy, but I hear a sizzle in the top end of ash that I love. It's subtle but it's there.

The new studs showed up a day early. Had to go buy a new set of vice grips since the ones I had seem to have vanished. I removed the broken stud and screwed in a new one. Now it's just dandy.

I'm too tired to drill pilot holes for the trem claw right now, plus the kids are asleep and the drill would wake them up. That'll probably happen Friday since I'm off. After that the hard part is going to be making the hole in the pickguard for the pickup. LOL I'll probably get everything set up except the pickguard and get it all dialed in.

Back