New project: What if EVH never painted Franky red?

Here

EVH0.jpg

EVH1.jpg

If that were Ash like this one I'd be all over it. My original idea was to get an Ash Locke Custom Franky body because I wanted to do it right but never had that much money. I scored this one cheap and it's exactly what I was looking for minus the paint job. LOL

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk

I have wanted that checker body since I first saw it on the van halen forums

You are killing me
Maybe we can work something out. Let me get out of my hell hole workplace first. Send me a PM.

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk

What exactly was the body wood of Edward Van Halen’s Frankie guitar? That’s one of life’s unanswered questions. It’s literally possible no one knows anymore, and the forensics of guitar wood aren’t exactly a scientific discipline. But we just got one more little piece of this ongoing puzzle.

For years – decades – the speculation has centered on ash: northern ash (also known as “hard” ash) or swamp ash. Sometimes alder has come up as a possibility. I even read somewhere online that a guy called Wayne Charvel’s shop one day, Ed happened to be there and said Frankie’s body is alder. (I have a good ‘80s Warmoth Strat body, and while it gets close – real close – to Ed’s tone, it’s not all the way there. So IMO Frankie is not alder.)

Most diehard EVH tone fans have been in the northern ash camp because the brightness of northern ash fits with Ed’s tone. Typically, northern ash is densely-grained and heavy, like Les Paul heavy. In contrast, swamp ash – apparently the same species of tree, just growing in a warmer climate – is lighter. Both have a characteristic twang or “presence” (in the amp sense) that some folks like and others consider harsh.

What exactly was the body wood of Edward Van Halen’s Frankie guitar? That’s one of life’s unanswered questions. It’s literally possible no one knows anymore, and the forensics of guitar wood aren’t exactly a scientific discipline. But we just got one more little piece of this ongoing puzzle.

For years – decades – the speculation has centered on ash: northern ash (also known as “hard” ash) or swamp ash. Sometimes alder has come up as a possibility. I even read somewhere online that a guy called Wayne Charvel’s shop one day, Ed happened to be there and said Frankie’s body is alder. (I have a good ‘80s Warmoth Strat body, and while it gets close – real close – to Ed’s tone, it’s not all the way there. So IMO Frankie is not alder.)

Most diehard EVH tone fans have been in the northern ash camp because the brightness of northern ash fits with Ed’s tone. Typically, northern ash is densely-grained and heavy, like Les Paul heavy. In contrast, swamp ash – apparently the same species of tree, just growing in a warmer climate – is lighter. Both have a characteristic twang or “presence” (in the amp sense) that some folks like and others consider harsh.
Exactly. :-P I've been jonesing to do a proper Ash Franky for a long time, which is why I had to jump on this body when the money came up.

Love the franky stuff. Show all you have! Ive builta couple guitars and have been wanting to do a evh guitar also. Im more of a amp builder

I've been poking around on eBay looking at necks.

I'm tempted to get this, but I'm not familiar with the guy. He seems to primarily sell necks with an EVH slant to them, though. I'm not sure if he's a new ID for an old builder or what. The necks visually look decent, but I dunno. His feedback is good, so far, but only a few.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRANKY-STra...k-/111650051088?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

He's also been doing Kramer beak necks, which I'm tempted by, but I don't think they'd be right for a B&W.

I've also been watching this one, but he sold an identical listing last month, so I'm a little leary of it... His feedback is really good, though. Gary's acoustic situation makes me wonder. LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/guitar-neck/281666383708?_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20140107095009&meid=b50529accbef4f1da5d9551505dd89cc&pid=100040&rk=3&rkt=4&sd=111650051088

Back