New power supply filter caps and amp tune up....

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
My Fender Supersonic had developed a bit of a hum, and it had been increasing over the last year or so. In the last month or two it had developed a ghost note sound (like a ring modulator) above what you would play. It sounded awful. The reverb had also developed a pronounced ticking sound. Took it to the local amp repair guy who figured out the problems, some out of spec capacitors on the power supply and one bad capacitor for something to do with the reverb. It hadn't failed yet, but was way off spec and looked to have a bulge. Got all that replaced, the tube sockets cleaned and tightened, and the thing biased to spec. Total bill was $126.12, and I assume that was mostly labor and diagnostics.

I just got it home and it sounds fantastic. Dead quiet and no more reverb ticking or sour overtones. Everything is good in the world again. :)

Last edited:
HNATUD.

is that a 22 watt or a 60 watt supersonic?

I have the original block logo 60 watt combo, so a first generation US model from 2006.

I kind of wish I had the 22 watt version 2, as 60 watts is a lot of amp, and the revised circuit supposedly sounds better at lower volume. My 60 sounds good at low volume, but it really doesn't shine until it is at a stage volume.

I have the original block logo 60 watt combo, so a first generation US model from 2006.
that's a pretty loud amp there, lester :eek:

i have a 1994 (first year) Blues Deluxe (40 WRMS) and it's really too loud for most bars, without pedals.

that's a pretty loud amp there, lester :eek:

i have a 1994 (first year) Blues Deluxe (40 WRMS) and it's really too loud for most bars, without pedals.

Lol. I just edited my post while you were typing this about the volume of my 60 watt.

Yep. It is stupid loud. It is hard to make it play at bedroom volume (controls seem linear and super touchy, making things go from silent to too loud between 0-0.5 on the 1-10 volume knob), and it really doesn't sound great until it is pretty darn loud. It sounds good at low volumes, but it absolutely is a stage type amp.

Lol. I just edited my post while you were typing this about the volume of my 60 watt.

Yep. It is stupid loud. It is hard to make it play at bedroom volume (controls seem linear and super touchy, making things go from silent to too loud between 0-0.5 on the 1-10 volume knob), and it really doesn't sound great until it is pretty darn loud. It sounds good at low volumes, but it absolutely is a stage type amp.

agree. the clean on mine is heavenly. so i just put a blues driver in front and play it down low in the apartment, as in not louder than the tv.
i've never liked the 'drive' channel, there's a screwy mid bite to it and switching between the channels is impossible because of it. so i only use the clean channel.
all the fender amps with drive channel seem to have that mid spikey thing.

i'd like to get a super champ x2 to use for the living room. a bit less juice.

Back