New pics of PRS John Mayer guitar on his Instagram...

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
It's not ground breaking, but it is pretty damned sexy.... "Your body is a Fender Strat... I'll use my hands" :tongue:

https://reverb.com/news/john-mayer-...gsuyspowerstation&utm_medium=FB&utm_source=FB

kfpqfneduezugvxzmtjf.jpg

I really don't get the point of that. Why would PRS want to just do a Strat clone. Why didn't Mayer get Fender to do it?

I really don't get the point of that. Why would PRS want to just do a Strat clone. Why didn't Mayer get Fender to do it?

Besides Mayer's fall out with Fender a few years ago... the beauty will be in the neck joint (PRS guitars bolt behind the neck pickup, not a diving board that sticks out from the body) and in the build quality.

In terms of marketing and branding, this makes no sense. It’s obviously a Strat-alike and Fender makes Strats and most people who want a strat will likely give Fender their money.

Strats are having something of a moment in cool kid circles as the new default guitar (vs teles a few years ago and SGs for a while in the early Aughts). Still, they’re not cool and John Mayer is not cool. And owning a PRS strat is not cool so there’s not much juice in this pairing...it seems like where the existing John Mayer audience and guitar buyers overlap is your TGP spec-obsessive middle aged dude market. Some of them might buy this, but most of that market is more likely to buy a Suhr or a Danocaster or some other boutique thing that meets their Barbie Dream Date “perfect guitar” requirements.

In short, fuck this stupid thing.

It isn't like PRS is hurting. It seems to me they do a good business. Other than the Mayer name association (which some might see as a liability), I don't see how this moves PRS forward.

I will not get it, so I will just bow out at this point.

It's not like this is the first time they've trended into strat territory. The EG series started that 25 years ago. This one looks even more the part, but it's many years later and they're not going to get sued now.

If Johnny “KKK Penis” Mayer wanted to make some $ to keep his cash-in Dead & Co dollars company, he would have been better off partnering with Reverend or Yamaha or someone similar and putting out a mid-price MIK product with appealing finishes and nerd-friendly features to sell more guitars to the “Gotta Catch Em All” guitar forum crowd.

That is if his endorsement is structured so that he gets a royalty based on sales.

I don't see what PRS has to gain from this, though. But that's just me.

“Gotta Catch Em All”

That phrase pretty much sums it up. Companies always feel the new to expand the user base with new products, people who want a Custom 24 all own one now and the rest of us buy used. This is at least the FOURTH time they've tried to launch a Strat. First the original '80's/'90's EG series, then the 305, then the SE EG, now this.

I predict the PRS Mayer suffer because the headstock aesthetics don't work.

Last edited:
Meh. I think it looks ugly. I'll take a regular old strat over that PRS-strat hybrid thing. I don't really care so much what PRS and Mayer want to do, I just know I don't want to own a piece of it based on the pictures.

Last edited:
For those times when a regular Strat just isn't douchey enough...

Reactions: wok
Back