New modelers from Vox.

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Vox has a new modeling amp line. I’m not sure if these are replacing the Valvetronix line or just Vox’s new low-end gear. Can’t say I’m impressed by the demo—like the Valvetronix amps these sound good until he turns up the gain and then it just turns to poop.

I'd rather just save up and buy a real amp from each of the manufacturers that produce the sounds I like.

I was kind of hoping the modeler amp thing would slowly fade out and the manufacturers would go back to just making great sounding amps. No such luck.

I still like modelers :embarrassed:. What I don't care for is the proliferation of the smaller, chintzier modellers that all sound like poo in a jar.

These look like they are trying to compete with the Blackstar ID Core amps (which sound like poo in a jar). Maybe one of these years Vox will come out with a new modeller to replace the last Valvetronix series that was a huge disappointment to many. Me? I will go back to a Mustang if I want a modeller.

Or a Boss GP-10...

I like Vox modelers but I think I'll stick with my original AD60VT. I don't really think they've got better over the years. All they seem to be doing is trying to make them look less like a Vox.

I was kind of hoping the modeler amp thing would slowly fade out and the manufacturers would go back to just making great sounding amps. No such luck.

Contrariwise, as someone who is world-famous in his own bedroom and nowhere else, I can't for the life of me see why they insist on putting perfectly good modeling software in a stupid tolex-covered box.

Contrariwise, as someone who is world-famous in his own bedroom and nowhere else, I can't for the life of me see why they insist on putting perfectly good modeling software in a stupid tolex-covered box.

Because most of the people buying these are kids playing in the garage or basement.

I've been using an SCXD as a practice amp for the last few years and it's been good for that but it's pretty much gone to the closet since I picked up a Frontman 25R a ways back. The tonal difference in a small room isn't all that apparent and for practice purposes I like having no warm up time and being able to just flip it on and off between beers. Never used the modeling stuff anyway. That's what the pedal board is for.

Last edited:
Back