New head on the way

Pine Apple Slim

Kick Henry Jackassowski
My most recent project is upright with a 3 piece doing blues/rockabilly/roots rock.
My little old SWR WM12 isn't cutting it volume wise. I have a 50w 71 SF Bassman head and a 1-15 4 ohm Carvin Cab, but I don't think that's gonna be quite loud enough either.
So I ordered this for $382
image.jpeg

- OUTPUT POWER: 8 Ohms: 300w, 4 Ohms: 550w, 2 Ohms: 700w (with 2 ohm switch)

- OUTPUT MODE: high efficiency CLASS D technology
- POWER SUPPLY: high frequency switching - FREQUENCY RESPONSE: +/- 1 dB 20 Hz - 20 kHz amplifier sections
- DAMPING FACTOR: >300
- PREAMP: 3 stage CLASS A
- PREAMP TUBE: 12AX7 switchable in/out

- INPUT IMPEDANCE: >200Kohms
- ACTIVE/PASSIVE Input Jack: 10 dB gain switch - accommodates all basses

- CONTOUR control: Flat to -15 dB at 500 Hz
- BASS/TREBLE CONTROLS: +/-12 dB at 50 Hz & +/-12 dB at 10kHz

- LOW MID Parametric: +/- 12 dB sweepable 50 to 500 Hz
- HI MID Parametric: +/- 12 dB sweepable 200 to 2kHz 

- GRAPHIC EQ: 9 band +/- 10 dB @ 50,80,125,250,500,800,1.3k,2.6k,5k

- COMPRESSOR/LIMITER: up to 3:1 compression ratio, convenient one knob control

- DI OUT with Pre/Post switch: -50 to +4 dBu adjustable, DC isolated XLR bal output 

- EFFECTS LOOP: -10dBV, buffered

- FS22 FOOTSWITCH: Controls Graphic EQ on/off & MUTE on/off
- SOFT START: gradually turns on the amp to prevent surges that can trip circuit breakers

- PROTECTION: speakers, over current, under voltage and thermal
- AC VOLTAGE: 90-250V, 50-60 Hz - Power Requirements: 150VA
- Dimensions: 3.25" high (with feet) X 14.0" wide X 9" deep
- Net Weight: 5.9 lbs. net (2.65 kgs)
- WARRANTY: 1 year parts and labor
- Made in the USA

I'm gonna try it first with the old 4ohm cab. I'll have to be careful tho because the cab is rated 400w and the amo puts out 550w at 4 ohms.

I will probably end up with ordering a 2x10 a 600w 4 ohm cab. Since supposedly this amp will run at 2 ohms I could have a full stack 1-15 and 2-10 running at the amps full power of 700w @2 ohms. That should blow some hair back.

Practiced last night w the old 50w SF Bassman head into the Carvin 1-15 cab. Plenty loud, but never found a sweet spot I really liked with the upright. Tried lots of diff gain levels and eq tweaks on the PARA DI thru both bass channels on the amp. Either too much sustain or too thin and honky. I could make the big boomy loud sustained sound work, but it took a lot of hand damping to tame, tricky. Plus I don't really want to cart this old head around much, I'd rather use it at home in my studio.

So I ordered this cab, to good a deal to pass up, $279.77 at Sam Ash w free shipping. If I like it I may get another one for a small 600w stack for larger gigs. I can also try it paired w the old Carvin 115 for now as well. On paper it should match well w the Carvin amp. 300w amp @8ohms, 300w speaker. 2 of these 600w, Amp @4 ohms puts out 550w.

Hartke Hydrive 112, 300w, switchable 4-8 ohms. 30 lbs!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Looking to cut your 50w SF Bassman head loose?

No way! Sorry. It's a wonderful clean guitar head thru my homemade cab w 15" Weber Cali.
It's also a very cool old school sounding bass head w my Starfire and the 15" Carvin cab.

Last edited:
One more cab, at a good price. $229 free shipping, a floor demo.
Eden 112, 300w. So now I have a 300- 550w 2-12 highly portable modular system on the way.
I should be able to cover most any situation with electric or standup.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Practiced with the new Carvin head and Hartke cab. I must say I was a bit disappointed that I didn't have near enough volume. Great tone,but not much more vol than my old SWR 100w combo. Tore the skin off my finger digging in so hard to be heard. I'm starting to think I need a darn SVT stack, lol. The other Eden cab isn't here yet, that should help.

I'm gonna reinstall the Krivo mag pickup. It's much stronger and louder than the piezo/PADI set up I've been using. The only reason I took it off was that it attaches with Velcro and I get rambunctious and tend to knock it loose. I'm gonna have to engineer a sturdier mount for it.

Hopefully with the magnetic pickup and another 12", the volume issue will be solved. I like the tone I'm getting and the 5lb head and 2 35lb cabs sure beats the old Bassman rig in the weight dept.

Reinstalled the Krivo mag pickup with some ideas from Talkbass to secure it better. Instead of the Dual Lock(basically a heavy duty Velcro w interlocking. teeth on both halves) provided with the pickup, I got some 3M auto adhesive. The stuff they use to attach trim to cars. Supposedly this stuff is good as glue but you can soften and remove it w a hair dryer. I also made a little wooden support block and attached it to the underside of the board with the same stuff. It seems to have set up very securely, but I'll wait till tomorrow to test it.
image.jpeg

Here's a vid from our 2nd practice. Guitarist broke a string and went outta tune towards the end. My bass is way too quiet, but the bass drum is too, so it's partly the iPad mic I think. Can't wait to try the new set up tomorrow.

My most recent project is upright with a 3 piece doing blues/rockabilly/roots rock.
My little old SWR WM12 isn't cutting it volume wise. I have a 50w 71 SF Bassman head and a 1-15 4 ohm Carvin Cab, but I don't think that's gonna be quite loud enough either.
So I ordered this for $382
View attachment 27361
- OUTPUT POWER: 8 Ohms: 300w, 4 Ohms: 550w, 2 Ohms: 700w (with 2 ohm switch)

- OUTPUT MODE: high efficiency CLASS D technology
- POWER SUPPLY: high frequency switching - FREQUENCY RESPONSE: +/- 1 dB 20 Hz - 20 kHz amplifier sections
- DAMPING FACTOR: >300
- PREAMP: 3 stage CLASS A
- PREAMP TUBE: 12AX7 switchable in/out

- INPUT IMPEDANCE: >200Kohms
- ACTIVE/PASSIVE Input Jack: 10 dB gain switch - accommodates all basses

- CONTOUR control: Flat to -15 dB at 500 Hz
- BASS/TREBLE CONTROLS: +/-12 dB at 50 Hz & +/-12 dB at 10kHz

- LOW MID Parametric: +/- 12 dB sweepable 50 to 500 Hz
- HI MID Parametric: +/- 12 dB sweepable 200 to 2kHz 

- GRAPHIC EQ: 9 band +/- 10 dB @ 50,80,125,250,500,800,1.3k,2.6k,5k

- COMPRESSOR/LIMITER: up to 3:1 compression ratio, convenient one knob control

- DI OUT with Pre/Post switch: -50 to +4 dBu adjustable, DC isolated XLR bal output 

- EFFECTS LOOP: -10dBV, buffered

- FS22 FOOTSWITCH: Controls Graphic EQ on/off & MUTE on/off
- SOFT START: gradually turns on the amp to prevent surges that can trip circuit breakers

- PROTECTION: speakers, over current, under voltage and thermal
- AC VOLTAGE: 90-250V, 50-60 Hz - Power Requirements: 150VA
- Dimensions: 3.25" high (with feet) X 14.0" wide X 9" deep
- Net Weight: 5.9 lbs. net (2.65 kgs)
- WARRANTY: 1 year parts and labor
- Made in the USA

I'm gonna try it first with the old 4ohm cab. I'll have to be careful tho because the cab is rated 400w and the amo puts out 550w at 4 ohms.

I will probably end up with ordering a 2x10 a 600w 4 ohm cab. Since supposedly this amp will run at 2 ohms I could have a full stack 1-15 and 2-10 running at the amps full power of 700w @2 ohms. That should blow some hair back.
Can you repeat that in English?

Back