New Gretsch: strong contender for worst guitar ever.

OGG

Master of the Meh
Bloody Hell Batman!

I just spent a full 45 minutes fighting with is enormous piece of shit because I really really wanted to like it.
aeff153c562315fcdcc4bb95ca5ea84c.jpg

$899 Sticker on a Chinese made guitar had better deliver the goods, this thing though... regardless of its good looks, is a flaming purple turd.

Strings are new... ok, stretch them.

Tune guitar, play ONE chord and every fucking string goes out of tune.

Tune it again, same thing.

Give the shitty Bigsby a good solid work out to let it find its neutral point with the strings tuned. No dice.

Larther, rinse, repeat. Same shit.

Meanwhile, the bastard keeps slipping off of your lap no matter how you sit or how you hold it. The intonation was so ridiculously out of whack, that I seriously doubt the bridge has enough adjustment to get it even close. The nut is definitely a POS as with most new/"cheap" guitars, but this fucking thing is nine hundred gawddamm dollars FFS!

I walked away pretty much hating everything about it. At $250, it would be overpriced. I hate to say it, but compared to an Epiphone or a MIM Fender, this abomination has no chance and no business having an MSRP north of $500. You could get a damn nice EPI LP AND A MIM Strat for what they want for this shitbiscuit.

I haz a disappoint

While it’s entirely possible that this is a dog, it’s equally possible that kids hanging around in Guitar Center just fucked up the setup. I’ve checked out these MIC Gretsch guitars at the local mom-and-pop and those were excellent.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I Have three Gretsches and love each one. I did replace most of the pick-ups with TV jones but that along with a good setup was all that was needed. I hope you can work things out to recuperate the cost. Best of luck.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I Have three Gretsches and love each one. I did replace most of the pick-ups with TV jones but that along with a good setup was all that was needed. I hope you can work things out to recuperate the cost. Best of luck.
Nothing to recuperate, as he didn't buy it.

While it’s entirely possible that this is a dog, it’s equally possible that kids hanging around in Guitar Center just fucked up the setup. I’ve checked out these MIC Gretsch guitars at the local mom-and-pop and those were excellent.
I don't think this thing was on the sales floor long enough to get the typical GC FUBAR treatment. It was in exceptionally "new from box" condition. I took that into account, figuring the strings would need a good stretch and that the guitar would need a full set up, but usually you can still get an idea of a guitar's potential even in such a state.

I just don't see any possible way that this particular guitar could ever be playable. It was horrid.

My White Falcon was a genuine masterpiece. That was a real Gretsch though, and cost real money. This thing doesn't deserve the name on the headstock. It certainly doesn't merit a $900 MSRP.

There was a 5120 at the GC in Joliet 5 or 10 years ago. Not as much money as this, $500 something? but, it was a steaming pile of crap. Still to much money for a steaming pile of crap. Mentioned on Harmony Central how horrible it was. Apparently, that was blasphemy. I was crucified. Good times. :grin:

There was a 5120 at the GC in Joliet 5 or 10 years ago. Not as much money as this, $500 something? but, it was a steaming pile of crap. Still to much money for a steaming pile of crap. Mentioned on Harmony Central how horrible it was. Apparently, that was blasphemy. I was crucified. Good times. :grin:

We still like the odd crucifixion over at HCEG....feel free to come over :)

Back