New Chef's Knife!

That's close to the normal rate. If you're patient and can find one for about $100 it's a really good deal. One of our local stores has a big Shun sale once a year and I'll pick up another one.

If you're happy dropping $150 on it, it's a great knife that will last for years.

I'll have a look around in town - a lot of places don't do these brands - they tend to stick to the same 2 or 3 US, Brit, French, German and Japanese but I'll see.

Ended up ordering the 20cm chef's knife from the set I already own:

KK638.jpg

It was pretty cheap all things considered (£25 all in) but I love the knives I already have, I like the balance and feel, they're hard, still sharp after 3 years of use and this got great reviews. Plus I can just check the bread knife in a drawer, stick this in the block and not worry about OCD ruining every time I have to grab a knife :grin:

I've heard that the Japanese-style knives also require a different technique than the pinch-grip, rocking cut I learned back when I worked in a restaurant almost 40 years ago. I may be too old to learn a new technique!

BTW -- the Onion knife I posted as the OP has now been in my possession for six months and I have yet to sharpen it -- I've just used my steel to dress the edge. The steel (Carpenter BDZ1) is something I had not heard of previously, but it's performance so far has been stellar. I'm familiar with G10, so the comfort and non-slip characteristics aren't surprising to me.

Anyway -- six months in and no regrets (one slip caused a nice slice in a finger, but that was my fault --- not the knife's!)

Too late

Look 2 posts up

:thu:

OK new question - if you say that little thing I'm using the sharpen them (I literally do 2 or 3 passes each time...?) isn't good, what do you suggest both in the way of what implement to use to sharpen and what technique. It's not something I've ever done as you can imagine.

I would get a 6" or larger Japanese water stone or DMT diamond stone. You need to work on your technique to maintain a consistent angle. One of the best ways to do this is to use a sharpie pen on the edge bevel of your knives -- when you remove the sharpie from the bevel but not the rest of the blade, you're doing it right! If you have real trouble maintaining a consistent angle, you can get one of the many types of sharpening guides (e.g. Spyderco sharpmaker, Lansky sharpening system, etc.)

0512630A-11.jpg

31Qk1WY1gnL.jpg

OK new question - if you say that little thing I'm using the sharpen them (I literally do 2 or 3 passes each time...?) isn't good, what do you suggest both in the way of what implement to use to sharpen and what technique. It's not something I've ever done as you can imagine.

The thing you do passes on is a honing steel, which realigns the edge when it starts to fold over from use. It doesn't sharpen (unless it's a super-fine ceramic or diamond hone) but rather keeps your edge straight and prolongs the length between sharpening.

I favour waterstones like the above King over diamond stones, because whie they're an awesome finisher, they can take a LOT of metal off quickly, especially when you're learning. You need a light touch and a steady hand to sharpen, but it gets easier the more often you do it!

There's tons of different tools & methods for sharpening. Depends on what you want to spend, how much time you want to invest, if you want to develop a skill, like using stones free hand, and what you want to sharpen besides kitchen knives.

The guided systems (like the lansky and spyderco sharpmaker that bsman mentioned) are good places to start, reasonably priced, and have the flexibility to sharpen some other items. Because they help set the angle, they eliminate a lot of skill/technique from the process. There's also a hybrid of those like the Work Sharp that's guided & powered. I got my Dad a Work Sharp a couple years ago because he is short on patience & doesn't have a steady hand to set an angle; he loves it.

I find that sharpening on a stone is a very relaxing, enjoyable exercise. I generally sharpen knives when I get up early on a weekend morning, as I drink my coffee and watch the squirrels and birds eat the food I put out for them. Only problem is I recently got a new outdoor knife a couple of months ago that has a convex grind, which calls for a very different sharpening technique (using sandpaper and a mousepad, of all things or a strop), so now I have to learn a new technique!

I just bring my kitchen knives to a pro 2x a year for sharpening. I dress them up once a week,not a pro gives the knife an edge like that.Me Aunt was a cook, got me in that habit 30 years ago.

Funny thing is could sharpen me K-Bar and shave with it. different blade angle I guess.

I use stones, but am looking into doing it on a belt sander, just because I have to do it so fucking often. On top of that, I have some friends that want me to sharpen their knives and are up for paying me to do so... a small 1x30 Harbor Freight sander and the right belts and compounds could pay for itself quickly.

Back