New Car Dealers Meathead Face Vol. 2

Geez, I might want to share both of the above stories on my new website. I'll let you know, and ask permission if I decide I want to.

My final communication to the dealership GM was a response to his earlier email to me wherein he tried to assure me that the wires in the photo were an aftermarket chassis ground, and that the obviously burnt wire was "just a 12V constant power to the ignition and would not pose any type of danger or operational failure".

Yeah.

He then explained their failure to remove the entirety of the aftermarket system by assuring me that in leaving the LED indicator housing screwed to the front of my drivers side kick panel (which by the way is in the absolute worst possible spot) they were essentially doing me a favor by leaving it behind instead of leaving open holes in the kick panel.

Yup.

Then he offered to have the aftermarket installer come to my home and clean up their mess by splicing, soldering and heatshrink wrapping any exposed connection points. He was even nice enough to offer me a pair of black rubber plugs to fill the holes. What a champ.

So, I quickly let him know that such services were not required and that on Monday the car goes to another dealer who has expressed their great desire to be the hero.

I then told him that the terms of our tentative agreement that he had yet to finalize had changed. On top of the refunds that are legally owed and contractually promised in writing, I was going to give them an opportunity to decide how much my misery and silence about the issue was worth by close of business. At such time I would choose to accept or decline their offer. If I recieve no new offer by close of business, all bets are off. My new site goes live, and I go full on OGG.

Close of business has long since passed. No response.

And so it begins.

Geez, I might want to share both of the above stories on my new website. I'll let you know, and ask permission if I decide I want to.

My final communication to the dealership GM was a response to his earlier email to me wherein he tried to assure me that the wires in the photo were an aftermarket chassis ground, and that the obviously burnt wire was "just a 12V constant power to the ignition and would not pose any type of danger or operational failure".

Yeah.

He then explained their failure to remove the entirety of the aftermarket system by assuring me that in leaving the LED indicator housing screwed to the front of my drivers side kick panel (which by the way is in the absolute worst possible spot) they were essentially doing me a favor by leaving it behind instead of leaving open holes in the kick panel.

Yup.

Then he offered to have the aftermarket installer come to my home and clean up their mess by splicing, soldering and heatshrink wrapping any exposed connection points. He was even nice enough to offer me a pair of black rubber plugs to fill the holes. What a champ.

So, I quickly let him know that such services were not required and that on Monday the car goes to another dealer who has expressed their great desire to be the hero.

I then told him that the terms of our tentative agreement that he had yet to finalize had changed. On top of the refunds that are legally owed and contractually promised in writing, I was going to give them an opportunity to decide how much my misery and silence about the issue was worth by close of business. At such time I would choose to accept or decline their offer. If I recieve no new offer by close of business, all bets are off. My new site goes live, and I go full on OGG.

Close of business has long since passed. No response.

And so it begins.
whatamaroon.jpg

Buy Porsche. They execute managers who do that. Got me a 1980 911 SC that starts first time everytime, and dealers never eff with the owners.

Buy Porsche. They execute managers who do that. Got me a 1980 911 SC that starts first time everytime, and dealers never eff with the owners.
I'm over my Porsche phase. I had an '87 930S that aside from costing more than my first house just to drive off the lot, but bled me dry quicker than a vampire phlobotomist with an embalming needle.

Oh, and it was absolutely terrifying to drive.

I hate to say it, but my GT-R cost less in 2012 than the 930S cost in 1987, and it is immeasurably better in every possible category besides visual appeal. I can push the Nissan into a tight turn at a blistering pace without a moments pause or fear of dying in a fiery mass of crumpled steel.

The 930S would do a 360 without warning at virtually any speed and direction of travel. It was fun, but terrifying.

The Nissan is 4 years old and has cost me nothing out of pocket besides a set of tires.

The first year of ownership with the Porsche by itself put a permanent dent in my wallet.

When it threw the timing chain and completely wiped out the motor, and years before Porsche eventually acknowledged the issue that caused it and began buying new engines for old cars, they politely told me stick it.

$30K to rebuild the motor.

No thanks, wanna buy a slightly used 930S?

And away it went in all of its broken down, RS Purple glory on a flatbed truck.

Never? This guys story of his horribly unreliable 911 had to blow up all over the interwebs before someone @ Porsche finally gave in. I think he had to pull his videos off YT as part of the buy-back deal but needless to say, the stealership was unable to resolve the numerous issues his car experienced

http://jalopnik.com/the-saga-of-the-lemon-911-and-one-mans-quest-for-just-1564141012

"So far, Porsche has repaired the car numerous time, replaced many parts, but to no avail. Nick wants Porsche to either buy back his car, or replace it with a comparable vehicle. He says Porsche has not offered to do either of these things, and has, in Nick's words, issued "thinly veiled threats" if he does not accept their settlements and goes into arbitration."

Never? This guys story of his horribly unreliable 911 had to blow up all over the interwebs before someone @ Porsche finally gave in. I think he had to pull his videos off YT as part of the buy-back deal but needless to say, the stealership was unable to resolve the numerous issues his car experienced

http://jalopnik.com/the-saga-of-the-lemon-911-and-one-mans-quest-for-just-1564141012

"So far, Porsche has repaired the car numerous time, replaced many parts, but to no avail. Nick wants Porsche to either buy back his car, or replace it with a comparable vehicle. He says Porsche has not offered to do either of these things, and has, in Nick's words, issued "thinly veiled threats" if he does not accept their settlements and goes into arbitration."
I was just wondering the other day how that eventually turned out. Crazy story.

Yep Aware of that. I would think that is a less common story with that kinda marque than the reborn Fiat, ( No insult to OGG..i LIKE the Abarth versions a lot.)

Let me give you happy story....

From OGG re Porsche 930S- "Oh, and it was absolutely terrifying to drive." Yes they are. Check above video for new white knucle fun..

"When it threw the timing chain and completely wiped out the motor, and years before Porsche eventually acknowledged the issue that caused it and began buying new engines for old cars, they politely told me stick it.
$30K to rebuild the motor."

I have to disagree.. The chain tensioner was a problem on older engines and fixed by 1987 , the timing chain was never a persistent issue And no engine Porsche made back in the day costs 30k to rebuild.

"When it threw the timing chain and completely wiped out the motor, and years before Porsche eventually acknowledged the issue that caused it and began buying new engines for old cars, they politely told me stick it.
$30K to rebuild the motor."

I have to disagree.. The chain tensioner was a problem on older engines and fixed by 1987 , the timing chain was never a persistent issue And no engine Porsche made back in the day costs 30k to rebuild.
Well, it affected mine, and Porsche had zero interest in fixing it, which was fine, because I had modified the buhjeezus out of it by the time the catastrophic failure happened.

I'm sure a replacement stock motor would have been substantially less expensive, but to return mine (what very little of it was salvageable) was gonna be 30K.

A local Porsche guru had gladly taken a whole shit ton of my money to build it into the unholy beast it became. Most of the internals were swapped with polished racing spec replacements. Pistons, cam...

It also had a mechanical injection stack straight out of an IMSA spec car.

The chain spun off upon deceleration and literally exploded through the casing and wreaked havoc upon the entire surrounding area of the engine bay.

It was spectacular and ugly.

The deceleration "pop" was a common occurrence well beyond 87. No question though that the modifications made my car the perfect candidate for such a thing.

The compression ratio was just shy of 13:1

Even with a pair of high amp marine batteries under that gorgeous slanted nose, it would resist starting as much as it could, and would smoke those batteries in a couple of months.

This is what happens when an 18 year old kid gets ahold of a big chunk of money from settling a previous nasty collision settlement.

My older brother told me to invest the bulk of it and buy a new IROC Z for like ten grand or whatever they were at the time, but that just didn't sound like fun at the time. :)

My brother (aside from recommending a fucking Camaro) is a wise man. Which is why after I pissed away all that money on stupid shit and then spending the next decade working to get it all back, he has been my financial advisor and sanity keeper ever since.

He is now the Deputy Director of the Department of Revenue.

And I'm still the idiot that if I leave the house with a hundred dollar bill in my pocket, I'll come home an hour later with 37 cents in loose change and almost certainly nothing to show for it. :)

My older brother told me to invest the bulk of it and buy a new IROC Z for like ten grand or whatever they were at the time, but that just didn't sound like fun at the time. :)

My brother (aside from recommending a fucking Camaro) is a wise man. Which is why after I pissed away all that money on stupid shit and then spending the next decade working to get it all back, he has been my financial advisor and sanity keeper ever since.

He is now the Deputy Director of the Department of Revenue.

And I'm still the idiot that if I leave the house with a hundred dollar bill in my pocket, I'll come home an hour later with 37 cents in loose change and almost certainly nothing to show for it. :)

My wife holds the same position. My GAS knows no bounds.cop0

Reactions: OGG
Back