New Band - Build My Pedalboard

speakerjones

my hat is all
So I'm pretty psyched. I'm collaborating with a local guy whom I've admired for quite some time. I've already learned a bunch of his songs and we'll probably start doing some gigs and recording later this winter. Since we'll be gigging, I'd like to put together a more streamlined pedalboard with maybe 8 pedals (my studio board has like 15 :) ). The music is original alternative rock. Lots of spacey sounds. Think Nirvana/Mad Season/My Bloody Valentine maybe?
I'm thinking:

Tuner
Boost and/or mild OD
Fuzz
Leslie sim
Noisemaker/synth/whatever
Noisemaker/synth/whatever
Delay
Reverb

Just looking to get some outside ideas. Feel free to include the board and power supply as well.

I use pedaltrain board and voodoo lab power supplies. Voodoo Lab has a new series of boards out with a built in switching system that I'm pretty interested in though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I went with a computer based rig long ago but if I was to do your gig with pedals...

Fuzz, some kind of Tone Bender, Mark 1.5 or higher depending on how heavy you want to go. Forget Muffs or Fuzz Faces.

Mild OD, I would use a Tim pedal, the earlier the better. Not a fan of the Timmy. The only pedals that I liked better than the Tim for mild OD was the Trainwreck side of the eight knob Menatone Kar Krash (rare) or the Cornish SS3 (pricey).

Leslie, the Korg sounds fantastic in stereo or mono, is comprehensive with the controls it offers BUT its a tremendous board hog.

Noisemakers, whatever... I'd use the Bitcrusher or some kind of ring modulator. I would avoid an actual synth...fun at first but get old quickly and sometimes require a huge learning curve.

Tuner, something that mutes the signal so I could use it as a mute!

Delay, something with lots of presets and control.

Reverb, same.

Cheers!

For what it sounds like you are going for, I'd go for the Caroline Effects Meteore and Kilobyte for your delay and reverb. They have these latch switched that ramp up the delay and verb while you hold the switch and they sound great.

Ah...it just integrates with their existing loop and power products:
http://www.voodoolab.com/dingbat_px.html

They make a regular dingbat board without the mounting for the switching as well.

I really like the looks of this board. I have a midi switching system, but haven't integrated it, as it's rather bulky. Something like this with the switcher and power built right in is pretty sweet.

I went with a computer based rig long ago but if I was to do your gig with pedals...

Fuzz, some kind of Tone Bender, Mark 1.5 or higher depending on how heavy you want to go. Forget Muffs or Fuzz Faces.

Mild OD, I would use a Tim pedal, the earlier the better. Not a fan of the Timmy. The only pedals that I liked better than the Tim for mild OD was the Trainwreck side of the eight knob Menatone Kar Krash (rare) or the Cornish SS3 (pricey).

Leslie, the Korg sounds fantastic in stereo or mono, is comprehensive with the controls it offers BUT its a tremendous board hog.

Noisemakers, whatever... I'd use the Bitcrusher or some kind of ring modulator. I would avoid an actual synth...fun at first but get old quickly and sometimes require a huge learning curve.

Tuner, something that mutes the signal so I could use it as a mute!

Delay, something with lots of presets and control.

Reverb, same.

Cheers!

I'm going to check out the Korg and some Tonebender clones. I have a lot of fuzzes, but no Tonebenders. Thanks for the recommendations. I'd be interested in hearing more about your computer set-up...

For what it sounds like you are going for, I'd go for the Caroline Effects Meteore and Kilobyte for your delay and reverb. They have these latch switched that ramp up the delay and verb while you hold the switch and they sound great.

I definitely have GAS for that reverb pedal now. I love the havoc function. I have the EHX SuperEgo which does something similar. Instant freak out.

Make yourself start with this. If you can make it work there's a lot less to carry.
FP1365.jpg

I use pedaltrain board and voodoo lab power supplies. Voodoo Lab has a new series of boards out with a built in switching system that I'm pretty interested in though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think that's based off of the JOYO one I got on sale year or so back...

upload_2016-10-10_7-57-13.png

Back