New automated RIMS brewing system

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
Getting the Swiss beer making operation up to speed. The last piece arrived today, a Speidel Braumeister computer controlled, automated pump, all grain RIMS system for mashing. It is a 20L system, so 5 gallons and a little change (Finished product volume, not volume of starting material). You put grain in, and it does all the mashing cook as programmed, then boils the wort and reminds you to add hops. The system even includes a water jacket cooling system that handles the wort chilling and all that. Kind of hard to see, but the system has a pump inside to keep things stirred and to keep a flow of mash water/sparge flowing over the grain. I can't wait to use it.

27540997_10215596749539920_69010703665205466_n.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
That's quite a rig. Is this your first trip into all grain brewing?

I'm actually going less automated this time around....back to basics: propane burner, cooler mlt and 1 pump for transfers and wort chilling.

That's quite a rig. Is this your first trip into all grain brewing?

I'm actually going less automated this time around....back to basics: propane burner, cooler mlt and 1 pump for transfers and wort chilling.

I've done a lot of extract brewing, and a bunch of brew in a bag type partial mash beers, and I've helped my brother do a lot of all grain brewing over the years, so it isn't exactly my first time, and it also is, depending on perspective. Certainly my first time with this rig and doing it all alone, but I'm familiar with the process. I wanted something semi automated/automated and the fact that every outlet here is 240V power makes electric a viable option, which makes automation more realistic.

Local store I ordered it from includes a couple of hour course on what to do with the thing as part of the price. I'm going on Friday afternoon to learn the system.

Last edited:
My last electric rig used two 1500 watt ULD water heater elements, split on two different outlet circuits and could boil ~5 gallons ok. I usually do less than 5 gallon batches so it was plenty for 2 -4 gallon batches.

Good brewing with your new brew bot! :thu:

I thought you guys only did swiss cheese and Swiss Ms. hot chocolate over there.

Stop freaking me out.

I thought you guys only did swiss cheese and Swiss Ms. hot chocolate over there.

Stop freaking me out.

lol. There are hundreds of kinds of cheese made here, none of which is called Swiss cheese. The cheese people in America call Swiss is called Emmentaler here. I've never really seen hot chocolate for sale anywhere here, but I never really looked for it. There are local breweries in my town and several national Swiss brands. They are almost all mediocre copies of German style lagers. If you want an ale, you make it yourself or pay for import beer.

Made the first two batches this weekend. An English style traditional IPA and an Irish Red Ale. The system worked really well, and the first brew day was so smooth on Saturday I opted to do another today. The machine is pretty damn amazing as it handles most of the brew, except for adding the malt and hops, and whirl floc at the end of the boil. I'm really happy with this machine. Mash efficiencies were 86 percent on day one and 84 percent on day two. At the end of it all, I just had a pile of grain to go into the composting pile for the garden. Not bad, especially as you pay for trash by the pound in Switzerland.

Last edited:
You can also make dog treats w/ the spent grain. Mix in a little flour, egg and peanut butter. Bake in the oven and they go crazy over em.

make sure that compost pile is situated far enough away from where you're going to be smelling. spent grain somehow seems to generate the stinkiest decomposition smells I've ever smelled.

make sure that compost pile is situated far enough away from where you're going to be smelling. spent grain somehow seems to generate the stinkiest decomposition smells I've ever smelled.

maggots. OMG the maggots

Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to mix that shit in with the soil really well and cover it with a bit of dirt. Might try some of the dog treats, but I can't imagine needing that many dog treats.

Back