New (and Used) truck shopping....all input welcomed.

As far as American trucks go, IMO Ford is the only one that deserves consideration. But realistically...Toyotas cost more for a reason. If it's something you expect to keep for a long time, I would absolutely go Toyota. Ford just cant compete with the Toyota's reliability and longevity. The reputation isnt based on myth or simply anecdotal evidence. As long as the previous owner took reasonable care of the Toyota, it's plain and simple going to last longer than a Ford.

That said - I agree with the rest of these guys that are saying if you need to haul, you can get a trailer and not have to worry about buying a pickup (though of course, any vehicle that is capable of towing a decent amount will also be fairly expensive!)

Around here even 20 year old Toyota pickups are hard to find for less than four grand. No manufacturers make a compact pickup anymore.

If Hyundai were to build a truck as well designed and priced as their cars, it might kick some market ass. Mrs. W should put in the suggestion and win a big ass bonus. :wink:
That's been a perennial rumor that they'll bring a light duty truck here but nothing concrete that I've heard at this point.

As far as American trucks go, IMO Ford is the only one that deserves consideration. But realistically...Toyotas cost more for a reason. If it's something you expect to keep for a long time, I would absolutely go Toyota. Ford just cant compete with the Toyota's reliability and longevity. The reputation isnt based on myth or simply anecdotal evidence. As long as the previous owner took reasonable care of the Toyota, it's plain and simple going to last longer than a Ford.

That said - I agree with the rest of these guys that are saying if you need to haul, you can get a trailer and not have to worry about buying a pickup (though of course, any vehicle that is capable of towing a decent amount will also be fairly expensive!)

Of course, Toyota actually had a recall because their frames rust prematurely.

If you are only hauling stuff on the rare occasion, then maybe it makes sense (financially, at least) to buy an inexpensive used SUV or car as a daily driver, and rent a pickup truck when you need it. Take the savings and put it in the bank (or buy guitars and amps with it).

Sure...if you only need a truck a few times a year, renting one is totally viable. Though, it can quickly become a pita if you need one more than a few times. I have a friend that rents a truck from the depot when he needs to do something that he doesn't want to risk scratching up his pristine new F250...which is kinda puzzling to me but whatevers.

I've got the best solution; I just borrow my Dad's truck when ever I need one so it only costs me an occasional tank of gas. :grin:

Sure...if you only need a truck a few times a year, renting one is totally viable. Though, it can quickly become a pita if you need one more than a few times. I have a friend that rents a truck from the depot when he needs to do something that he doesn't want to risk scratching up his pristine new F250...which is kinda puzzling to me but whatevers.

I've got the best solution; I just borrow my Dad's truck when ever I need one so it only costs me an occasional tank of gas. :grin:

That IS a good solution if you swing it.

I don't haul stuff for a living. But I AM a bit of a "weekend warrior", and especially buying a new house, will need to haul stuff around on the weekends for the foreseeable future. (Bushes, plants, drywall, studs, lumber, carpet, etc...etc...etc...)

The Toyota gets dismal gas mileage (suprisingly), but I guess they all do.

And don't kid yourself, the Toyota feels and drives like a "truck".

The Ford was actually a bit more "posh" on the inside, but when I looked underneath of it (even at 3 years old), I saw all kinds of rust forming.....The metal was left bare in the factory. The Toyota (yes I know it was new), actually had "skirts" and guards/plates, and looks to have been painted or coated.

Leaning towards the Toyota at this point, but again,,,,I am a a few weeks out before I have to make any decisions.

This thread makes me appreciate my old chevy truck. Its worthless where you are because of the weather but around here its great for those kinds of chores and its fun to boot.

Yeah, I hear ya.

That bad boy would have succumbed to rust eons ago if it was up here, lol......

We'll see what happens, but I do find myself with New Truck GAS (NTAS?).......

I'd love to have a "beater truck", but the fucker needs to be reliable, solidly built and able to conquer the wilds of NH. Not easy to find, I'm afraid.....the winters up here destroy vehicles.

I wouldn't touch a new Toyota with a ten foot pole.

Their reliability ain't what it used to be, and they have had a ton of scary recalls. They are WAY overpriced.

The Ford is a good truck.

Take a look at the Titan too.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tig
I'd love to have a "beater truck", but the fucker needs to be reliable, solidly built and able to conquer the wilds of NH. Not easy to find, I'm afraid.....the winters up here destroy vehicles.

CL and the likedown here is filled w/ cheap beater trucks. I'd say make a point to visit family and return w/ a cheap truck but I get the vibe you want a new toy 4x4, not that there's anything wrong w/ that.

Is full size a must?

I love the Ford Ranger because it was basically unchanged from 1998 to 2011 when they quit making them. That means that you can find parts in any junkyard.

Plus, they are fairly easy to work on, and pretty capable for a smaller truck.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have an 8 foot bed and a V8, but I've hauled a lot of crap in my 6 foot bed with my puny 3.0 V6.

Back