New (and Used) truck shopping....all input welcomed.

Coralkong

Alien
Well, we all know the Exploder's transmission imploded at 297K miles.

Sucks to be me, but whatever, I drove it for 50K miles or something for $2800, so whatever......it did it's time.

Went out truck shopping tonight.

My jaw hung open at what these things are going for.

Looked at (namely) at 2011 F150 (loaded) with 18K miles for.....(gulp).....32K from a dealer. V6 (I think he said it was a twin turbo model.) Nice fucking truck, but seriously....wtf on the price.

Went across the street to the Toyota dealer. 2014 Toyota Tundra V8 BigOne or something with an I in the model. Limited....Interior (believe it or not) wasn't as "comfy" or as ergonomic as the 2011 Ford, but it was a BITCHING truck. More truck than I would ever need, but I guess it is always good to have the big V8 in it.

$37K new.

Both are all leather, all everything. Toyota has a bedliner in it, and is brand new.

Toyota (38 miles), V8, leather, all kinds of shit, brand new = $37K

Ford F150 (18K miles), V6, leather, all kinds of shit, 3 years old = $asking32K

Hmmmm......

The Toyota's "buttons" weren't nearly as nice and crisp as the Ford's, and the Ford's backseat was fucking huge.....the Toyota's wasn't bad, mind you.....both are leather-ed up and pimped out.

What-say-you?

Trucks aren't trucks anymore. They are really big cars. I bought my 1992 Toyota pickup for $7000 new. The base model starts at over $18000 now. I just used their builder on the site and this is what I ended up with as a straight poverty model truck:

Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 6.42.55 PM.png

I wish someone would make a decent cheap truck again.

Trucks aren't trucks anymore. They are really big cars. I bought my 1992 Toyota pickup for $7000 new. The base model starts at over $18000 now. I just used their builder on the site and this is what I ended up with as a straight poverty model truck:

View attachment 14319

I wish someone would make a decent cheap truck again.

Dude, I couldn't believe it. A nicely equipped Ford truck was topping $40K easy....for a F150!
We're not even talking a 250, 350, Super-Duty, etc.....wtf?

The Toyota was a nice truck. So was the 2011 F150, but I'm not sure I'd take the price difference vs. potential disaster. Toyota's are giant lawn-mowers, but the will run forever.
And, oddly enough, the Toyota is built entirely in America....the Ford isn't.

WTF?

I have to have 4WD. Not an option. HAVE to have it up here.....

A fucking brand new Jaguar starts at $64K or something.....you do the math....seriously.

I don't know. I cant bring myself to own another Ford. The Toyota is just so expensive though.

How much shit are you lugging around?
Ever notice 98% of trucks have empty beds?
Get a mini-van,or a hatchback.

Subaru. Unless you HAVE to buy US for whatever reason.Or you're towing horses or something. I kinda like the Ford Flex, but it is way too big for my needs.

I have an 09 F150 Lariat Super Crew. If you do any driving at all, it slays. Just really gobbles up the road. If it has the 5.0 that would be better than the 5.4. And yes, it gets used to haul stuff.

IMG_0751.JPG

Personally, I'd rather pickup a AWD or 4WD car/cuv/suv for daily transport and grab a dirt cheap 2wd truck to have around for those occasional times you actually need a truck.

I would suggest an older truck. If it's going to be used to haul stuff anyway, no point in spending $40k on it. Of course, cash for clunkers kind of ruined the supply of used late 90s to mid 2000 pickup trucks. Even those trucks often fetch over $10k.

While I think the new breed of trucks are extremely nice, I agree with Mark. New trucks are nothing more than luxury cars with a bed on them. I don't want or need that much luxury in a truck.

What gets me is dealers that ask almost full price for a used truck that has a huge amount of miles on it already.

Thanks for the input, guys.
Much appreciated.

Believe it or not, there seems to be a shortage of mid 2000's trucks up here. And a lot of those that I have seen have rust issues underneath.

Since this will be garage kept (when I decide), I'm hoping that isn't as big of an issue.

I really am floored by how much they want for these things, but am leaning towards the Toyota at this point.

It really did drive like a truck, which is what I want.

When the 20 year old kid working at the Ford dealership told me "The F150 drives like a sports car.", it kind of turned me off.

I replied "I assure you, it does NOT drive like a sports car. I drive a Jaguar, I'm looking for a truck." Stupid kid.

I just can't see spending THAT much for a 3 year old truck, which already had rust all over the rotors, exhaust, frame, etc......

We'll see what happens. I am a few weeks out......

Thanks again.

What gets me is dealers that ask almost full price for a used truck that has a huge amount of miles on it already.

What gets me are consumers willing to pay almost full price for a used truck with lotsa miles on it already

I drove the Toyota when I was looking. The dealership here sucks big time. The truck was nice enough, but I like the ford better for what I use it for. Plus it gets better gas mileage than the Toyota.

Truck prices have gone into the ludicrous level. I'd go with a Ford before a Toyota truck. Within Toyota, the Tundra is far better than the Tacoma in quality and reliability. That sucks because for me the Tacoma is the perfect size. Dig around places like Edmunds.com, etc., and you'll get a decent idea on reliability.

Mid 2000 and recent Ford and Chevy trucks take the top 2 spots, occasionally alternating the top reliability ratings.

I think if I was shopping for a beat around used truck, I would check with the Forest Service (or BLM) and see about buying one of their used ones. We have tons of FS and BLM land around here, and they do replace their trucks every so often.

Personally, I'd rather pickup a AWD or 4WD car/cuv/suv for daily transport and grab a dirt cheap 2wd truck to have around for those occasional times you actually need a truck.

If you are only hauling stuff on the rare occasion, then maybe it makes sense (financially, at least) to buy an inexpensive used SUV or car as a daily driver, and rent a pickup truck when you need it. Take the savings and put it in the bank (or buy guitars and amps with it).

If you are only hauling stuff on the rare occasion, then maybe it makes sense (financially, at least) to buy an inexpensive used SUV or car as a daily driver, and rent a pickup truck when you need it. Take the savings and put it in the bank (or buy guitars and amps with it).
That is the voice of reason. It would be fun to own a truck, but there are a lot of trucks around here and that is what i do instead of owning one. A buddy has an early 00's Dodge pickup, extended cab, white, manual transmission, 4WD if necessary, dents and bent bumper already applied. Perfect to borrow for the the price of a couple beers plus gas. And he normally drives his mini cooper anyway.

Back