New Amp Day - Deja vu style!

Interesting that the model name on the faceplate is laid out differently.
It's a distinguishing feature between years. Same goes for the piping on early SF Fenders.
So you guys got me thinking since they told me it was a 1971 (before I mentioned I had a 1971) so I just looked up the serial numbers. The new amp is actually a 1976 and the old one is actually a 1968 serial number but it is missing the drip edge so I'm thinking its a late '68 or early 1969 made with older parts (not uncommon for Fender in that era). I noticed the weight of the new one and attributed it to the stock speaker but apparently they are much more different. They sound very similar other than what I mentioned above though.

So you guys got me thinking since they told me it was a 1971 (before I mentioned I had a 1971) so I just looked up the serial numbers. The new amp is actually a 1976 and the old one is actually a 1968 serial number but it is missing the drip edge so I'm thinking its a late '68 or early 1969 made with older parts (not uncommon for Fender in that era). I noticed the weight of the new one and attributed it to the stock speaker but apparently they are much more different. They sound very similar other than what I mentioned above though.
Look at the date codes on the transformers, too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That's a beautiful pair.
Twins! Errr....

dd703483f5521058bf4bf5f379bf1ef5.jpg

The old one:

4521989c5090e15b02fa7806cad2b203.jpg

1bceb1809211af8e98acb46fad90adf5.jpg

4ab141c75763f25a3f3c9d03870b1550.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The old one is a little fatter too on the vibrato channel. I'm wondering how much of this is about differnt brands of tubes and whatnot and how much is just the gradual changes in compnent values as you use, blow up and repair an amp over several decades.
I would have the filter caps looked at/changed. Old filter caps will thin out the bottom end of an amp.

I would have the filter caps looked at/changed. Old filter caps will thin out the bottom end of an amp.
As I get time I'll rotate my map through Kevin Nelson's shop. Suhr goes in first though. This one actually sounds really good so no hurry.

As I get time I'll rotate my map through Kevin Nelson's shop. Suhr goes in first though. This one actually sounds really good so no hurry.

Good plan. I can't help it, I'm an amp nerd, I'd have that thing torn open within 10 minutes of getting it home, lol.

As awesome as the new amp is, what I can't get over is the deal. Reminds me of, I don't know how many Craigs list ads I've seen, somebody wants to trade their LTD guitar, Epiphone starter pak guitar and amp, a Line 6 amp and some other crap for 1 decent guitar or amp. You read the ad and think, OK, you have been playing for 2 years, you understand now how horrible everything you have ever bought is and, you think somebody who has been playing longer than you will jump at the chance to trade their Les Paul for your garbage.

e0b25f1837366f9369c43bc857a6bc47.jpg

#bestfriends

These two really sound great together. Actually the best sound I've gotten with the Guild. I've found my Jazz amp and it's not a sterile solid state box. I have a recording from rehearsal that I may or may not share. I'll probably just do a video this weekend.

e0b25f1837366f9369c43bc857a6bc47.jpg

#bestfriends

These two really sound great together. Actually the best sound I've gotten with the Guild. I've found my Jazz amp and it's not a sterile solid state box. I have a recording from rehearsal that I may or may not share. I'll probably just do a video this weekend.

Coffee on top of you're amp....that's a no no!!!

As awesome as the new amp is, what I can't get over is the deal. Reminds me of, I don't know how many Craigs list ads I've seen, somebody wants to trade their LTD guitar, Epiphone starter pak guitar and amp, a Line 6 amp and some other crap for 1 decent guitar or amp. You read the ad and think, OK, you have been playing for 2 years, you understand now how horrible everything you have ever bought is and, you think somebody who has been playing longer than you will jump at the chance to trade their Les Paul for your garbage.
Well, as an individual I would never accept that kind of a deal because the crap gear is beneath my expectations partially formed by the wonderful thing I'm selling. The owner the store I've been buying at not only can put some of the stuff in inventory for his customers that just want cheaper stuff, he has another store in Arizona run by a friend who will take the stuff he can't move (like the 5 watt Blackhearts and whatnot). The end of this deal was still profitable for him and I didn't have to go through the trouble of moving out of style gear online or Craigslist so it was win-win.

Coffee on top of you're amp....that's a no no!!!
eh. As long as it's not my Suhr with the vent on top and its a closed cup its OK. I'm more concerned about cold drinks that sweat condensation. Thats how I killed my Suhr onstage last year.

It depends on the amp. As CBS got their meathooks into Fender, they implemented changes based on cost and not necessarily sound. I've yet to play a well serviced SF amp that didn't sound good. But it may not sound identical to a BF amp.
And sometimes it doesn't even sound like other Silverfaces of the same year and model.

eh. As long as it's not my Suhr with the vent on top and its a closed cup its OK. I'm more concerned about cold drinks that sweat condensation. Thats how I killed my Suhr onstage last year.
You're braver than me....my rule of thumb is absolutely no drinks on my amps!!

Back