New amp advice needed

GergS

Butt
I’m finally biting the bullet and getting a good amp. I’m currently using a 68 Deluxe Reverb RI but I’ve had issues with it ever since I bought it and I’m not too keen on Fender products anymore. I did some research and have narrowed it down to three Vintage Sound Amp models. The first is their 15 watt Princeton clone. The second is their 22 watt Deluxe Reverb clone and the third is their 22 watt Deluxe Reverb single channel (only includes the vibrato channel of a deluxe reverb). The size and weight of the 15 watt model appeals to me and I could mic if needed. 15 Watts should be enough for any dive bar gig. However the single channel deluxe reverb is also appealing for size and it’s the only channel I use on a deluxe reverb most of the time. And then there is the regular 22 watt clone that has both channels and it’s what I’m used to. I think I’d be happy with any of them but I’d like to hear what some of you all have to say.

http://vintagesoundamps.com/

friend has the vintage sound princeton. He really digs it but says it's too boxy sounding for a 1 guitar band and it needs to be mic'd anytime you're playing with others

I’ve played all three models at my friends house but just at living room volume. @Lerxst’s comment makes me think that it might not be the best rock band amp although I’ve been thinking about selling my older Deluxe and getting the 35 watt one to play jazz through.

I’ve played all three models at my friends house but just at living room volume. @Lerxst’s comment makes me think that it might not be the best rock band amp although I’ve been thinking about selling my older Deluxe and getting the 35 watt one to play jazz through.

He's in LA if you ever want, he'd probably have no problem loaning it out to you. He is using a Supro as his #1 for the last year or so.

He's in LA if you ever want, he'd probably have no problem loaning it out to you. He is using a Supro as his #1 for the last year or so.
I can still try my buddy Joe's amps out if I wanted too. If he's digging Supro I can maybe see why he's not as into the Vintage Sound amps though.

Also. @GergS what problems have you even having with the ‘68 Deluxe?

The reverb and vibrato stopped working twice. Had to get a new tank and there ended up being an issue with the vibrato circuit. I had to finish out my last gigs with the band using my Tech 21. I was worried something else would go wrong during a gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reverb and vibrato stopped working twice. Had to get a new tank and there ended up being an issue with the vibrato circuit. I had to finish out my last gigs with the band using my Tech 21. I was worried something else would go wrong during a gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah. That’s bullshit. I guess that amp goes off my list.

Yeah. That’s bullshit. I guess that amp goes off my list.

Yeah, I was able to use the non vibrato channel but my confidence in it was shot. I don’t have any good places to shop for amps locally so I’m kind of in a pickle. One place sells Bad Cat, Satellite and Orange amps. I tried them all and they didn’t do it for me. I’m leaning towards the regular 22 watt version at this point I think.

I’m leaning towards the regular 22 watt version at this point I think.
If it were me (and it weren't) I'd be leaning toward the single sided Deluxe...enough power for small gigs, can be mic'd for larger gigs, and the single channel eliminates unneeded circuitry...

It appears the single channel is only available through Humbucker Music. It might be worth calling them to see how they stack up to the other $2k amps given your needs.

Probably The Accomplice.

I've had the brownface princeton one (hot fudge, no nuts) and it was really great sounding. Chad had it too.

The Accomplice is based on the 65 Deluxe Reverb. You can get it so it can run with 2 6L6s @ 35 watts if you need more headroom.

Back