New album-early mixes

57tele

Multimeh
Hi all,

Still relatively new here. Thought I'd post a few clips of what I do, or at least what I'm doing right now :)

These are just a couple of clips from early mixes of our new album.

First is a little duet with the great Danny Gotham. Danny took runner-up in the national flatpicking championship as a kid, but is a killer electric player, too. He plays the first solo, then I come in, then both.He's playing a Parker Fly direct to board, which I remic'd through my old Vibrolux. I'm playing my Heritage H575 through the Vibrolux and a little slapback from a Fulltone TTE.

This one is a good example of my 1972 Tele, played through my Vibrolux w volume and treble dimed, bass off, bright switch on. Followed by a solo on my mid 50s Stringmaster, and then some e-kalimba.

Ought to be done by the Fall. All the tracks from our last album are posted here:

http://www.reverbnation.com/mikebabyak

Very cool. I especially liked the first one. The second clip was harder for me to judge as it was "out of context." There is some nice playing, for sure. I'll try to listen to the previous stuff later.

Nice. First one has that African guit feel!

Thanks. Yeah, we do a fair bit of afropop stuff. On our last album, I even transcribed a couple of solos by the great Soukous player Diblo Dibala. Coolest part was that in trying to track someone down to get permission to lift the solos, I ended up chatting directly with him by phone. This is that cut-the first two breaks are the transcribed ones:

http://www.reverbnation.com/mikebabyak/song/5874509-lucy

Last edited:
Hell yeah! Is it just me or is the first tune Grateful Dead inspired? I like both. The very live sound of the guitars and the percussion, the improv feel.

Hell yeah! Is it just me or is the first tune Grateful Dead inspired? I like both. The very live sound of the guitars and the percussion, the improv feel.
Never thought about it that way, but I could see why it might sound that way to some folks. At least consciously, it's pretty much straight out of my obsession with afropop and carribbean music. But of course, the guy I studied for quite some time has been a fixture in the "Bay area" genre for a very long time.

Never thought about it that way, but I could see why it might sound that way to some folks. At least consciously, it's pretty much straight out of my obsession with afropop and carribbean music. But of course, the guy I studied for quite some time has been a fixture in the "Bay area" genre for a very long time.
I was born in Oakland and grew up in the East Bay. I guess I picked up on that. :wink:

Oops! Realized I had already posted the earlier stuff, so deleted. But, yeah, afropop obsessed, for sure.

A couple more previews in a pretty different vein from the upcoming album. Always wanted to do a real "strat-sounding" solo, so here it is:

This one is just in the demo stage, so just uses a sample percussion, but it's a good demo of the Trombetta minibone.

Back