never seen this before: hand size to scale length chart

I gots nine inches (i.e. 228.6mm), so I guess that may be one reason that teles figure so prominently in my collection. However, it's pretty easy to switch to Gibson scale. The Musicmaster's 22.5" scale does feel cramped, however.

BTW -- that article was accurate for me in saying that your hand-height multiplied by 9 is a decent indicator of your overall height. I am 5'10", and my hand measured out to about 7.75", which x 9 = 69.75" (or 5'9.75")...

Last edited:
At about 220, I'm firmly in the 25.5" scale, but I agree with HIAR that neck shape has a lot to do with it, too. I also know that as I am adding more years, a shorter scale is feeling a little easier. I was shocked at how comfortable my PRS SE Custom 24 felt, which I had chalked up to the neck profile, and the very low action. It is possible, though, that since I have entered my 60's that my hands are less flexible, so that just a .5" difference in the scale length becomes quite noticeable. The 25.5" scale length is still ok for me at the moment, so the Strat will still be my primary guitar.

Kinda silly if you ask me. Most people of average hand size can go from a bass to a baritone to a regular guitar to a 3/4 to a mandolin. You just adapt to different lengths.

I've never really had too much of an issue with any scale or neck shape.

I have quite small hands and really have problems with Fenders modern C profile (scale length not an issue btw), get horrible cramps in my left hand especially when I need to play barre chords and stuff like that. :embarrassed:

An asymmetrical V though....bliss. :)

Back