Need help replacing an O2 sensor on my Jaguar.

Coralkong

Alien
OK......gonna save me money, right?
So I buy the part (the new O2 sensor).

I can see/feel the old one. It's right there.

I cannot, for the fucking life of me, get at it.

I have spent $100 in tools......can I cannot get the old one off.

Is there a trick to this? It's on the back of the engine, on the exhaust manifold.
To come out, I assume it has to go "down" if I beat on it, right (meaning, they're not threaded backwards or anything, right)?

It is too fucking cold to fuck around with this much longer.

I have the dash cowl off....the wipers off, the sensor control bracket removed.....

Will heating up the engine help?
Spraying the old one down with something?
I am afraid I am going to break something soon. (Like, an expensive plastic hose or something....)

Fuck me.

Penetrating oil of some type is usually the first step.

PB Blaster.
Fluid Film.
WD40 if you can't get anything better.

I used Fluid Film when I did my Charger last spring.
I sprayed it in the morning and then let it sit most of the day.
Loosened up with little effort.
It wouldn't move before I sprayed it.

PB helps, haven't tried Fluid Film, nor even heard of it.
Have you got a socket wrench on it? Try a breaker bar or a one or two foot length of pipe or conduit that fits snuggly over the ratchet handle.
And by 'down' I hope you mean counter-clockwise, looking at it dead-on from the top.

PB helps, haven't tried Fluid Film, nor even heard of it.
Have you got a socket wrench on it? Try a breaker bar or a one or two foot length of pipe or conduit that fits snuggly over the ratchet handle.

That's sort of the problem....I cannot easily get to it.

I have a short throw and a long throw O2 sensor socket and a variety of wrenches.
Have 2 X elbow adapters.
Have about 3 feet in fucking 3/8" extensions

It will not fucking budge.

I will try the fluid film (or whatever they have down at the store) to see if that helps.

Think I should fire up the engine and let it warm up before I try to loosen it?

I once helped my dad remove one that was stuck. We ended up heating it up with a torch to get it to budge.

Hit it with a map gas or propane torch at the socket/bung then it'll wrench right out. I did one a couple weeks ago on my truck and with out the heat, I was literally twisting the sensor.

e212d2f217d8d328b7e3affb0d81ba79.jpg

Yeah, I don't think you'll generate enough heat by starting the engine to do any good.

Can you get to it from underneath the car? I know on the truck it's much easier going in from underneath than it is going down from the engine bay.

Yeah, I don't think you'll generate enough heat by starting the engine to do any good.

Can you get to it from underneath the car? I know on the truck it's much easier going in from underneath than it is going down from the engine bay.

I had to drive 30 mins up to my folks place to use my torch & some extra tools and that wasn't near enough to help budge it.

If it's in a location with heat sensitive stuff behind it that could be damaged by the torch, something like this can help shield the surrounding area
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-9-in-x-12-in-Hands-Free-Heat-Shield-314002/100345508

What ever you're doing, hope you have a heated garage. It's brutal working on a car outside in this weather.

Back