Need help making crab cakes

el diablo

I'll take an A for $1000, Alex.
I get the ingredients, follow whatever recipe to the letter, and the goddam things won't brown up even if the pan is sizzling. Tonite's used crackers in stead of bread crumbs, but same weakly binding result. What is I doin bad?

Do you have lots of oil in the pan?
It's the hot oil that really gets them brown, not just heat from the pan.

Just make sure it's good and hot before putting the cakes in and they shouldn't soak it up.

I think, but the main problem is they aren't solidifying into cakes. They still remain fragile no matter how long I cook them. More egg?

Chilling them after forming the cakes will help firm things up and make it easier to get them in the pan and flip them.
That should help keep things together.

A trick that my brother told me was to form them in balls instead of cakes and then flatte them when you put them in the pan.
You can also squeeze some of the moisture out when forming them.

An extra egg might help if you have to, but make sure it's not too gooey.
I'd try the other tips above first.

I hope it goes well.

I know entirely too much about crab cakes for someone that doesn't really like them.
I think it's because I've ever only had bad cakes with too much filler.

I'm cutting out as much filler as I can to keep the crab goodness. Likely being punished by other worldly crab friendly force.

My wife is from the Eastern Shore of MD, and she'll school you tomorrow on how to do it.

Me?
Fuck if I know.

I do like mine broiled vs fried, but that's just me.

She also makes a killer crab soup. We were just talking about it recently, as we (living in NH) have to get the blue crabs (or just the meat) flown in.....

Trust me, she knows what she's doing.

My wife is from the Eastern Shore of MD, and she'll school you tomorrow on how to do it. Trust me, she knows what she's doing.
That would be fantastic! I'm big into sous vide cooking now, so any help I can get on frying stuff without setting the house on fire is very helpful. Thanks!

That would be fantastic! I'm big into sous vide cooking now, so any help I can get on frying stuff without setting the house on fire is very helpful. Thanks!

I will get her to post on this thread tomorrow (she's sleeping now, while I am up waiting for MS support to call me back....).....

I don't know all the technical terms, and all that jazz, but from what I have seen, there isn't too much involved in it.....you do have to have Old Bay on hand (just a warning).....

No Old Bay = No real crabcake

Just a warning.

I will ask her to post on this, though.....she'll set you straight. A REAL, authentic, crab-cake you can serve to your lady-friend or significant other.

And get beer. Only pussies drink wine with crab cakes.
:wink:

Got a ton of Old Bay so no worries there. Drinking a local craft double IPA. 8.5% baby. Probably why I am screwing up my crab cakes.

crabvneck.jpg

If you're using eggs and it is still not binding enough I'd crack an extra yolk in there. Very lightly toasting the breadcrumbs can also help a bit. Make sure your oil is REALLY hot and use cast iron if at all possible. Have enough oil in there that when you put in your cake it'll cover a smidge more than the bottom half; flip ONCE. Immediately drain on a paper towel and if you have several more to make you need to wait for the oil to get hot again, so putting the finished crab cakes in an oven set on warm should keep them hot and not loose any crispness.

Back