Need amp buying advise

This is becoming my go-to suggestion for the "under $1k" budget. Most venues that you'll be playing won't handle a 50 watt amp without a master volume. I like the Fender 1968 Deluxe Reverb reissue but not the 1965. The best thing is to go to a music store and make some noise though. See what you dig (bring your own guitar though).
As far as 50w goes, I agree.

I have the EVH III mini head, 50w.

The other day I was jamming with my buddy Paul on guitar too, and his son on drums. I never had the master volume past 3. In a small club with a crowd it would be overkill anything past 4. Luckily the amp has a good preamp that still sounds good without having to crank the master.

30w would still be loud. I have a friend from work that used to play in a funk band. I went and saw them many times in clubs around the Kalamazoo area. My friend Will would usually use his Roland G-100 pedals thru their PA, but he always had a backup amp, a Roland Cube 15w. He used the 15w a couple of times that I saw them and it was plenty loud enough even in crowded clubs. Though again he was running it thru the PA...

You should be able to find Classic 30s in the $350-$400 range all day long on craigslist.

I strongly recommend a speaker swap. I personally love the Mesa/Celestion Black Shadow but I've seen people say they are really happy with Vintage 30s.
I put a Hellatone in mine. Sounds great.

Well just got back from a few stores, was able to try a Vox AC15 and I agree it's very good sounding, some Blackstars which were ok, some Egnators that I thought I would like more than I did and a bunch of Fenders. Also a PRS head & cab that could have been better but I think there was something wrong with it. Also a couple Mesa Boogies that had seen better days.
I didn't see any Peavey Classics or Fender 68's. Since I'm most likely buying used I think the Vox, Fender '68 or Peavey will be the most durable (especially the Peavey) but I'll wait and look around till I can try out some more.
Thanks to everyone for giving me a good direction to start from, my next question will be what overdrive pedal to buy....but that can wait.

Back