Need a recording/sequencing software suggestion

Ignored Member

Neutered male
Here's what I need:

Digital multitrack recording but I don't need to record more than two tracks at a time. I probably don't need more than 8 tracks of playback.

MIDI sequencing synced to the audio. I want to be able to cut/copy/paste portions of the song by measure.

It has to be stupid easy to use. I just don't have a lot of time to spend reconfiguring or tweaking parameters. I want to track, edit, mix, and release in the shortest time possible.

I don't need a software synthesizer. I have enough external sound modules to cover it.

I don't need a ton of effects but good ones would be nice. Reverb and the ability to do mastering compression/limiting would be especially helpful. Most of what I make will end up as MP3.

I really, really need something that does a convincing jazz swing feel in the drum tracks. I played with the EZDrummer demo and liked that it could do this.

I've played with Audacity. It's just too complicated and I don't get work done fast enough.

I did ok with an old version of Cakewalk but the computer it was on died.

I'm on a PC so Garageband is out. Of course, if everyone insists it must be Garageband, I might look into an iPad or something.

Last edited:
Sony Acid is more than capable, simple to use, and very inexpensive. It will work with all VST plug ins, will work with loops, you name it. Very user friendly.

Thanks everyone. I just downloaded Reaper and I'll check out Sony Acid and Mixcraft 6, too. I've been pretty happy with some other Sony media software I used in the past.

Reaper is promising. I ran the install, did a single take through my "direct" rig (SansAmp to Digitech RP-50), and had a mastered MP3 within 30 minutes. The preset effects for EQ and comp worked really well.

I didn't mess with any of the MIDI on it yet other than initial setup. Still, it found my hardware and seemed pretty straightforward.

Here's the clip. It's in the most recent VOM1T thread, too.

Back