Need a new OD/Distortion...NO, I DON'T!

jelloman

Couch'd Tater...
...to something in the moderate gain range to fill the space between "clean" and the Catalibread DLS...I've been using the OCD for this, but at Heelstock I became less and less satisfied with the midrange nasally honk I get from it...I've been trying various TubeScreamer type pedals but they're even worse...I'm starting to get what @Help!I'maRock! has against them...what I'm looking for is something more balanced, with more bottom and less mids than the OCD and "green" overdives...

Any suggestions?

I've used one of these for several years and I always try to replace it and never can. The trick is only using the "MOD 1" position and it doesn't have the tube screamer mid range. : https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=sparkle drive mod - if you want a tube screamer you can get the 808 sound too but this has been the most useful mid gain drive I've ever had. Works best with your amp moving a little air but you can say that about any pedal.

Lots of vids you can find on Utoob, here's something to look at with Ed to adjust tone to your liking...

Seymour Duncan 805 overdrive. Get the first edition a the new one only has cream knobs as the difference for an extra $40.

I've used one of these for several years and I always try to replace it and never can. The trick is only using the "MOD 1" position and it doesn't have the tube screamer mid range. : https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=sparkle drive mod - if you want a tube screamer you can get the 808 sound too but this has been the most useful mid gain drive I've ever had. Works best with your amp moving a little air but you can say that about any pedal.
That pedal is slightly oversized, no?

That pedal is slightly oversized, no?
Yeah. You can see it in context here:

17620254_10155209070317425_2338685996672871526_o.jpg

That's actually how I use the DLS....gain dialed back as a boost to drive the amp into breakup

I really didn't mess around with my Red Llama until Heel's. I built it a while ago with my kids but never really used it. After playing it that weekend with my amp cranked, I really started to like it. I'm not sure about the midrange on it, but since someone here has a double Red Llama and hates tube screamers, I'm guessing the honk is not there.

There are also plenty of tubescreamer knock offs that have the mids dialed out ... I think the Foxtail by FoxPedals is one that comes to mind... Or any Klon variant with a split EQ (Sick As by Bondi or The Architect by Matthews Effect). I bet the Tumnus can thicken up too.

Maybe a Zen Drive clone or Zen drive.

Just some HOPshuns.

Or you could get a guitar with scooped mids (which contrary to what @smurfco says) does not make you a member of Staind.

Can't go wrong the Bad Monkey or the Sparkle Drive. I've gone through more than a few drive pedals over the years. These both have remained on my board.
I came to the decision that the OCD works well with some amps and not others. So it sits in the corner with other Misfit Toys.

I really didn't mess around with my Red Llama until Heel's. I built it a while ago with my kids but never really used it. After playing it that weekend with my amp cranked, I really started to like it. I'm not sure about the midrange on it, but since someone here has a double Red Llama and hates tube screamers, I'm guessing the honk is not there.
I lika da llamas.

The EHX Hot Tubes and the Llama are the same basic circuit, variants on the Craig Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz. I found the Nano Hot Tubes a bit fizzy, but with the tone knob off and the gain down, it should do the job too. Lastly, it should be noted that the Llama really doesn't like midrangey high output pickups. I've not gotten a great sound out of my Pickle Drive with the Ibanez Artist and its hot as fuck Super 70s pickups. Jello could be running into the same issue with the JB in his cherryburst partsocaster.

I'm also interested in the EHX Operation Overlord. Adjustable EQ (treb/mid/bass) to go along with level and gain. It also has a dry signal knob like the sparkle drive and a boost. This one is actually the one I'm most interested in trying. I love the idea of the Sparkle Drive and the clean/dry level/blend, but the fixed EQ is less appealing. It also has an input level switch that might be handy depending upon your set-up.

ehx-overlord-970-80.jpg

The EHX Hot Tubes and the Llama are the same basic circuit, variants on the Craig Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz. I found the Nano Hot Tubes a bit fizzy, but with the tone knob off and the gain down, it should do the job too. Lastly, it should be noted that the Llama really doesn't like midrangey high output pickups. I've not gotten a great sound out of my Pickle Drive with the Ibanez Artist and its hot as fuck Super 70s pickups. Jello could be running into the same issue with the JB in his cherryburst partsocaster.
...or he could just turn off his Bright switch. :grin:

Back