Need a camera

I second the Canon SX710. Brilliant point and shoot. I have a 60D with a few nice lenses, but often just take the 710 around for casual shooting.

I bought a Canon G11 for my Wife. Turns out to be one of my all time favorite cameras. It can function as a point and shoot camera and takes wonderful photos. It also takes great video.
It's small enough that you can take it with you and keep it around your neck. Look for one on the used market for half price or less.
51yxYiIsa6L.jpg

This is a good choice too. I used to have one of these at the shop for doing site surveys. Maybe it was a G10? It was fantastic for low light stuff. It's a little bulky for a point and shoot though.

I have a Canon S90 that's been a great compact camera you can shoot auto or near full manual. My dad has one of the Panasonic lumix cameras that's equally nice. Both brands current models would be in your price range

Speaking of the tradeoffs between SLRs and compact cameras, I'll never understand why mirrorless SLRs didn't catch on. They seem to have the best of both worlds. And even though they were a bit more pricey than SLRs (which I never understood since they have to be considerably cheaper to make), I'd think the prices would have fallen rapidly had they caught on.

On second thought, I should maybe get something like this.

Olympus-Stylus-TG-4.jpg

Only reason I stopped using my old Canon SD800IS was because I dropped it so many times the housing started coming apart.

On second thought, I should maybe get something like this.

Olympus-Stylus-TG-4.jpg

Only reason I stopped using my old Canon SD800IS was because I dropped it so many times the housing started coming apart.

Those are suppossed to be really good! I have a similar one, the Pentax w90 and they are tough as nails, thow it on the ground, drag it across the sand, leave it in the rain whatever....and it's very comfy in the front pocket. I debated between the Olypus and the Pentax at the time, I think the Pentax was a bit cheaper at thwe time and I liked the green color :embarrassed:

Those are suppossed to be really good! I have a similar one, the Pentax w90 and they are tough as nails, thow it on the ground, drag it across the sand, leave it in the rain whatever....and it's very comfy in the front pocket. I debated between the Olypus and the Pentax at the time, I think the Pentax was a bit cheaper at thwe time and I liked the green color :embarrassed:

I think red would be good in case I lost it, which I've done too. I was at that sand prairie and it fell out my pocket onto a little mound of sand so it didn't even make any noise. Fortunately it was right next to a critter trail that I was on and I just backtracked, but it wasn't easy to spot until I was right on top of it.

Says it does poorly in low light. Nevermind. *spits*

Last edited:
I think red would be good in case I lost it, which I've done too. I was at that sand prairie and it fell out my pocket onto a little mound of sand so it didn't even make any noise. Fortunately it was right next to a critter trail that I was on and I just backtracked, but it wasn't easy to spot until I was right on top of it.

Says it does poorly in low light. Nevermind. *spits*

just get a fannypack....problem solved

And start listening to the Grateful Dead. I know your scene, joyboy.
just sayin' you'll have easy access (especially if you wear it in the front) to yer keys, your cell phone, your camera, a snack and perhaps some spearmint gum or whatever...your starbucks card.

Bought a used Sony RX100 on ebay for 290. Sounds pretty bodacious. I did want something more rugged but I bought another SD800 for my pocket, so that should do on the fly.

Back